A co-worker and myself started a Bible Study/Prayer Group/Time with God group three years ago. We have been meeting on Wednesdays for lunch and have helped each other through a lot of valleys. Truly, she teaches me. A struggle in her life is that her son, Jake, is an atheist. I know a lot about him through his mother and recently he started going to MSU. Hmmmm….. The brain started cranking out ideas of how to bump into him on campus or perhaps a friend or two in our college group could “by chance” meet him. For the past few months, Jake had seemed to becoming more interested in Christianity, asking his mother for his Bible and opening dialogue. I thought I would just go for it and invite him to Riv.
Last week, after praying about it, I wrote an e-mail and then…no e-mail address. I couldn’t find! I called his mom to get it. She was out of the office until Monday. Was this a sign that I wasn’t supposed to invite him? What if I was acting on my own timing? Was God really driving?
Yesterday at lunch, I was driving down 5 mile and the thought popped into my head to send my co-worker an e-mail asking for Jake’s e-mail address. I quickly dismissed the thought and started flipping through channels on my radio. The Bob Dutko (http://www.wmuz.com/) show was on the Christian station and he was talking about Compassion ministries. I turned the channel but accidentally pushed the button for the Christian station again…just as Bob was talking about a little boy named…Jake…who needed a sponsor. The lights turned back on in my head. “Okay, God. I’ll invite him.” After all, I’m the girl who doesn’t believe in coincidence.
I got the e-mail address. With a quick prayer, I hit send. His mother warned me Jake may not be receptive but my thoughts traveled to something Noel taught a couple months ago. If you care about people, you will share the gospel. If they reject it, they aren’t rejecting you. They are rejecting God and God can handle it. After the rejection, brush it off and go on. Not move on. Stay in that person’s life and just love them.
Sometimes it’s all about planting seeds.
Most of the time, for me, people are receptive to what I share. I do not have a lot of experience with atheism. I was talking to my co-worker yesterday and said this may be about God toughing me up, not asking questions and just doing His will.
I got the response this morning from Jake. :o)
1 comment:
...?
Post a Comment