Friday, January 19, 2007

Dr. Laura

Yes, I know most of you probably dislike her but I have learned a lot from Dr. Laura Schlessinger. I believe God used her to stop me from “shacking up” with my ex-boyfriend and wanting to be a stay-at-home mom. She is extreme, that’s for sure. Nevertheless, I saw this on Wikipedia today and thought I would post it.

Laura Schlessinger
Born in 1947 in Brooklyn, New York, to Monroe (Monty) Schlessinger and Yolanda Ceccovini Schlessinger, Schlessinger grew up first in Brooklyn, then in Long Island, New York. She has described her childhood in a dysfunctional family as unpleasant, due to extended family rejection of her mixed-marriage parents (her father was a non-practicing Jew, while her mother was an Italian non-practicing Roman Catholic) and due to what she has described as an unloving environment. Schlessinger converted to Judaism in 1996, and she and her son Deryk joined the Conservative branch. Then in 1998 the entire family converted to Orthodox Judaism under Rabbi Reuven P. Bulka of Ottawa, Ontario. Schlessinger sometimes discussed religion on the show, giving examples from Judaism in order to illustrate resolutions of moral dilemmas facing her callers, the vast majority of whom were not Jewish. She occasionally clarified ethical and moral issues with her local Orthodox Rabbi, Moshe D. Bryski, before mentioning them on the air. She was embraced by many in the politically conservative segment of Orthodox Judaism for bringing more awareness of Orthodoxy to her radio show. Schlessinger received a National Heritage award from the National Council of Young Israel in early 2001. Some of her expressed views were explicitly religious and found their way into her 1999 book The Ten Commandments: The Significance of God's Laws in Everyday Life, while many of her other views were purely secular in nature. In July 2003, Schlessinger announced on her show that she was no longer an Orthodox Jew. In a series of monologues over the next month, she explained that she did not feel a connection with God and felt frustrated by the effort she had put into following the religion. She also mentioned envying the relationship with God described by her Christian fans.

Did you catch that?

5 comments:

Pete C said...

I wonder if she will take the next step.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

I hope she does, but I will say the women drives me nuts.

What I will ask, is what does being a stay at home mom have to do with any of it?

Holly said...

When I was growing up, all thru college and then into my first real job, I was going to have kids and then stick them into daycare. It wasn't because I had to. It was because I wanted to and actually thought that was the right thing to do. After listening to Dr. Laura, I realized I didn't want to do this. I wanted to do whatever it took to be able to stay at home. i think the reason I didn't want to in the past was because I don't know what staying at home looks like. With God's help and direction, I'm no longer afraid of it. I want to be the one who sees their firsts, takes care of them when they are sick and teaches them their first lessons. Agree or disagree with me, this is what I want for MY life.

Mike said...

I wasn't getting at anything, simply inquiring what you meant by your statement.

Actually, I will drop gloves and duke it out with anyone that is willing to give a woman a hard time for wanting to stay home... There is nothing wrong with it, and has many positive effects on the kiddos.

A couple that have a kid at Di's daycare just got pregnant again, and found out it was twins. They got the quote for having 3 kids in the daycare... Nearly 650 a week... If being a part of the kids life isn't enough incentive how about 650 a week - ouch.