Monday, February 21, 2005

Riv Kid

I worked at Riv Kids yesterday. After church was over, there was still one little person waiting for parents. Chaz walked in with a baby as the room was going to be used for child care during the Meet the Pastors pizza party. This little person wanted me to play basketball. What she really wanted was to try to get by me with the ball.
Kid: Okay, you be the mean person and I'll be the nice person. You try to get the ball from me but if I make it to the other side of the room, I win.
Me: Okay.
I let her go by a couple of times. Then she said...
Kid: Okay, you be the mean black guy and I'll be the nice white person.
Me: Come again?
Kid: You be the mean black guy....
Me: Whoa, whoa, whoa....(Kid takes off running).
I looked at Chaz. We were both staring at each other in disbelief.
Me: Ummm...we have to handle this. What do we say?
Chaz: Isn't there some kind of question flow chart around here.
Me: Oh geez...I have to say something to her.
The child came running back to me. I told her we had to stop playing and talk. Somehow, I tried to explain that black people weren't mean. I said when she watches it on TV, everyone is just really intense and aggressive because they are playing a sport. I asked her to repeat back to me what she understood. She just said yes. I wasn't sure if I handled it well or not. If people didn't know, the only kid experience I really have is with my niece and nephew. Still, I prayed right before I said what I had to say...I guess it was the best answer I had at the time (on top of me being completely shocked). I think this whole Riv Kids experience is definitely making me stretch my understanding about the world around me.

1 comment:

The Professor said...

You handled it like a pro...I should know...I am a teacher :op