Monday, February 21, 2005

Showers

Lyndsay: I have to take a shower before the birthday party.
Me: Okay
L: Will you help me?
M: Yes
L: Please turn off the radio first.
M: I'll turn it down but I would like it on.
L: You shouldn't have electricity near water.
M: The radio is too far away and too high up.
L: Still...
M: That radio has been in this room for 10 years. Every time I am here, I listen to it in the shower. Seriously, 10 years. Nothing has happened. You're safe.
L: Okay, you have to make sure the temperature is just right.
M: How is this?
L: Too hot.
M: This?
L: Still too hot.
M: Now?
L: Too cold.
M: Lyndsay....
L: Okay, now its good.
Hops in shower. I put on my make-up.
L: Um...Aunt Holly?
M: Yes?
L: It's still a little too hot for my feet.
M: How is it now?
L: Good! Thanks!
Return to the mirror.
L: Um...Aunt Holly?
M: Yes Lyndsay.
L: It isn't about the temperature.
M: Okay...
L: Could you please get a little hand towel next to the shower in case I get soap in my....oh no! Ow! Ow! Soap's in my eyes.
M: Here, here, here. Wipe. Try to get a little water in there, too.
L: That's better. Thank you.
I return to the mirror. I hear Lyndsay singing.
M: What are you singing, Lyndsay?
L: I'm not.
M: I thought I heard you.
L: Oh, I was saying all the names I know from video games and TV.
M: Oh, okay.

No comments: