Soooo....I called my sweet, little nephew last night and the conversation started like this.
"Hi, who is this?"
"Brad"
"Are you on the other line?"
"Yes."
"With who?"
"Why does it matter?"
"Because...(thinking)...I'm your aunt and I want to know."
"A friend."
"A girl type friend or a boy type friend?"
"Girl...but why does it matter?"
"Because...(thinking)...I wouldn't care if it were a boy."
"Ohhhh, I see."
This is the part where I realized how much my nephew has grown up.
"Bradley, do you have a minute to talk to me?"
"Sure!"
"Ummm...well...I know you do a lot for Boy Scout and stuff..."
"Uh-huh..."
"Well...how would you like to help me out on Thanksgiving because I'm going to serve meals down at the rescue mission in Lansing and I just thought we could do this together, you and I but you can think about it, you don't have to answer me...."
"Sure!"
"Wait, you don't have to tell me yes or give me an answer now..."
"Sounds awesome!"
"Are you sure? I mean, I just thought we would go for a couple of hours... I mean, what's a couple of hours and what do we really do on Thanksgiving? Sit around, eat, sleep...nothing. Sooo, if we go for awhile..."
"Wait, for how long?"
"Maybe from noon until 2 or 3 and then we can go eat our Thanksgiving dinner."
"Oh. Awesome! I mean, like you said, we'll just be sitting around anyway. Let's help."
I was stunned, proud, and happy because this little boy who isn't so little anymore, wants to help out. I love this kid. Sometimes, yeah, we get on each other's nerves but I do love him. He has come a long way from being spoiled (yes, I'm part of the guilty party) and he has a long way to go but his intentions are usually good. He is starting to realize the world does not center around him and for this, I'm grateful. Sometimes it's difficult watching someone grow up but in this case, the older he gets, the more fun we have.
No comments:
Post a Comment