I went to a different church on Sunday because I stayed the entire weekend in Walled Lake (huge deal for me). I met a couple in July who attend this church and had wanted to check it out. The coincidence is that the church is Ridgewood, a church planted by former members of Riverview.
Ridgewood holds the service in a nice community center. When I entered, I noticed people get a little bit more dressed up then at Riverview--not as many jeans. I noted the use of Macs, the coffee brewing, and they handouts for the message. Ahhhhh...just like home. But just before I sat down, a stocky, older man suddenly appeared. He welcomed me and introduced himself as Jeff Moore. "Ohhhh," I said. "my name is Holly and I usually attend Riverview." He was really excited and asked how things were going there. It felt good to have that common bond with someone I didn't know but had heard about.
After we finished talking, I sat down. A woman approached me with this permanent looking smile on her face. Warmly, she welcomed me and asked my name. I gave mine, went into the story of how I was named (she asked) and we laughed. Then she said her name was Noelle Carole. Hmmmm...born on Christmas? Yes, 5:05 a.m. More laughs. Then the music started and I was surprised. No lead male singer. No lead acoustic guitar. Just a bass, electric guitar, drums, keyboards and four female singers. Now, I wasn't exactly sitting in judgment but I tend to have an ear for these things from when I managed the Cameltoens. Politely--they needed more practice but they were still good, playing from the heart. I missed seeing Paul and Dan in the lead, though. I also missed the whole Riverview band--the 800 members whose names I don't even know but I'm used to. I quickly swallowed these thoughts, died to these thoughts and jumped into the message.
Jeff is so awesome. He really cracked me up. He wore a shirt and tie (can't wait to see my pastors in a shirt and tie) and followed the handout exactly. I noticed something else interesting. He wasn't exactly just teaching to a crowd. He spoke directly to people and they spoke directly back. It was almost like a conversation. I've always been amazed at how Riverview tries to still keep that level of intimacy with the sheep by calling on people by name, etc. I think Riverview does a good job of this, knowing a lot of the 1 million who go there. This church had the perfect environment for it. I liked it.
After the message, we sang again, a couple of songs I didn't know. This one woman singing on stage was just going to town in her dance moves and singing. You could tell she was really in love with Jesus. She was also the lead lady I guess because she was the one who led prayers. Her prayers were awesome. They were direct and hit the nail right on the head. She didn't do a lot of repeating and didn't use the normal "justs" "God" and "Lord" over and over. Example: God, I just want to ask you to just help us, Lord. Help us in living in this world, God and help us to just, connect with you, Lord.
Anyhow, she was really good. After the singing, Jeff talked about the small groups they had been breaking up into and that every member had an appointment to meet with their gift counselor to look at what spiritual gifts they possessed or areas they needed help. I thought that was pretty cool, too. After the service, I met Ron Windmiller and we spoke for awhile. He wanted to know if I thought I would ever come back. Definitely! But I explained how I couldn't really rip myself from Riverview. He laughed and said he completely understood.
Driving away, I thought about my church. I really missed it. I never, ever, ever thought I could feel this way about church: the people, the atmosphere, the music, the coffee I don't drink, the messages, and even my pastors. It all gets me to God and propels me through the week. Ahhhh....home.
No comments:
Post a Comment