Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Yesterday, I was driving to work, listening to the dj on the radio talk about some website for pets. She was explaining how this website was trying to save abandoned pets from being ethuinized. Apparently, the website had a count down clock on it, counting down the final moments of some puppies needing to be adopted.

Man, I thought. That's really sad. For half a second, I wondered if there was anything I could do. This dj was going after work to adopt one of the animals. The plan had worked. Get people to adopt these pets by showing how little time they have left.

I got to work and listened to my co-workers go on and on about the cruelty toward animals. A few of my co-workers do rescue and foster abandoned or abused pets. They are pretty passionate about it.

As I worked, I heard a commercial come on my radio next to my computer. The man was talking about children all over the world who live in poverty. He asked why these children have to beg for food when we have so much to give here.

It really made me stop and think. Adopt an animal or human? Adopt a pet or a 4-year-old girl? I suddenly wondered why so many people care so much about animals but not enough for actual human beings. The same cost it would take to support Whiskers per month could feed a child for a month. This really started to burn me. What if we were all a little more passionate about the poor? Don't get me wrong. I don't think there is place for abusing animals and I would like to help them. It's just....are our priorities a little messed up or am I just being emo?

Dakota is up for adoption and would make a really nice pet (I'm guessing).



Nayeli is waiting for a World Vision sponsor. She is two years old and lives in Ecuador. Like many children in this country, she needs your love and support to have access to things such as clean water, nutritious food, and an education, so she can grow up to be a healthy and productive adult.
Born: Sep 26, 2005
Grade: 0
Favorite Subject: Not Available
Health: Good
Favorite Play: Soft Toys
Gender: Girl
Chores: Doesn'T Help - Too Young
Country: Ecuador



http://www.worldvision.org/
http://www.compassion.com/default.htm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When considering adopting pets vs kids, or helping feed pets vs kids...please remember there are hundreds of thousands of kids in America's foster care systems here at home. These kids are our future but for some reason we look past them because the less fortunate countries seem to be in a needier state. Consider reaching out to those at home first- our government is not concerned, most of the time the parents aren't concerned...that's where we come into play.

http://www.fostercaremonth.org/Pages/default.aspx

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now! :)

kp

Holly said...

Of course, I'm for helping any child anywhere in the world. I don't see this as an us vs. them, only how so many people care more about their pets than actual people (Mr. Muggles, anyone?)

Dan Price said...

When I was in Seattle, one of the guys who was speaking said basically "I'm getting sick of dogs. There are more dogs than kids in Seattle and they dress them up and call them "baby" and when I'm out with my family they give mean looks because they are annoyed by the fact that I have kids!"