Friday, August 10, 2007

Mentors

If you haven’t noticed, I have been writing a lot about how I could have so easily fallen through the cracks of Riverview. A large group of people did not “take me in” to make sure I didn’t get lost. No one asked me to be in their small group or join a Bible study. Fortunately for me, I’m a bit outgoing. I sometimes have to close my eyes, take a deep breath and jump but I do have the courage to move forward. Joey was there to show me how to read and find things in the Bible. I started a Bible study of my own. I tried to join a group at Riv and found out I was too young. But like I said, Jesus steered me and brought awesome people and opportunities my way.

Joey and I have been discussing this a lot lately. I’ve wondered if I am prejudice toward cute and outgoing people. Here is why I say that: all of my friends are cute, outgoing and saved. But what about….let’s face it…the not as attractive….or the not as outgoing people? I’ve seen some of these people at Merge. I’ve seen the quiet ones, the reserved ones. I don’t see me clamoring to get to know them. Now, the people like me? No problemo. Got it covered, God. Perhaps I’ll write on that topic more at a later date but for now…..

Focusing on the reserved, shy people…the ones who just can’t seem to make themselves get involved, the ones who feel like they are in this new Christian thing by themselves…what about them? Dan talked about community the other weekend and I thought, “well, this is all great for the people who aren’t scared to fail a little bit or go into unchartered territory…but what about the people who freak at the thought? Or the ones who have been burned by Christiany groups in the past? What about the people who are new and don’t have a group of people surrounding them to help lead them?

After we put our shovels down at the ground breaking, I saw a friend of mine and Joey’s. We’ve both known him since high school and have seen him at Riverview for almost 2 years. We asked how things were going and quickly saw that this guy needed some guidance. He just wasn’t getting enough from the weekly services but didn’t feel comfortable plugging into a group. We went out to lunch and had really interesting conversations. While saying our good-byes, Joey told our friend to read 2nd Corinthians. Our friend paused and then said, “Yeah, I’ll read it but then who is going to explain it to me?”

Well, how about that.

The next day, a friend of mine who is a new Christian called and asked me, “hey, if there is a 2 in front of the book of Samuel, that means it is the second book of Samuel…right?” Yup.

People who are new have questions I can answer. People who have been at this Christian thing for awhile have answers to questions I still have. But think about the newbies and yourself. If every one of us took one newbie under our wings, we might help someone from slipping through the cracks.

Joey decided to meet with our mutual friend and found out how hungry this guy was to know more about Christ and the Bible. Again, he’s been going to Riv for almost two years! A point I sometimes miss is how much I learned in my first two years and all of the messages I have heard that others haven’t. Why we shouldn’t be having sex before marriage. Why we shouldn’t be getting drunk (but love a damn good beer). Why we keep our lips sealed when it’s none of our business. Why we need to date other Christians. I have these messages on CD. I used to get them every week and listen over and over. A few weeks ago, I was talking to Steve and I quoted something he said 4 years previous. “I said that?” he responded. Yeah. I was a super sponge back then. Now, I think it’s time to squeeze that sponge…share what I know.

Joey called Dan with the idea: a mentor/mentee program at Riv. Dan couldn’t believe it. He had just been talking to someone else about the same thing. He put Joey on speaker and the three of them started discussing. When you are a new teacher, a more experienced teacher guides you through the processes, the culture, explains things to you. Same at Val. We are all assigned a mentor who shows us the ropes around the company. All of this is done to help people get comfortable, to help them adapt, not get lost in the masses…

Mentor:
1. a wise and trusted counselor or teacher.
2. an influential senior sponsor or supporter.
(Dictionary.com)

We could all do this…all of us. Once a week meeting or talking to someone on the phone. The problem, of course, is that we will not have enough mentors to help the newbies. The mentors do not need to be at a pastor level. They do not need to help solve life problems of the newbie (that would be the Stephen’s Ministry area). People at Riv need other people at Riv. I told Joey that if this program moves forward, I will be a mentor. I’m ready for it. But if this moves forward, Riv will need a lot more of us to step up, move through some fear and help others.

3 comments:

Yi said...

:)

Love what God is doing through you! You know I am SO PROUD of what you are doing. Way to see the need and put into action.

Dan Price said...

You guys are cool. I like the way you think.

Anonymous said...

Holly, I miss seeing you. I want to hang out with you and Joey more. =) You two are super cool.