I'm not a Christian.
I'm not a runner.
I'm not engaged.
I'm not an adult.
So...how did I get to be an engaged, Christian adult who is addicted to running 5Ks?
I'm not sure how any of this happened. Looking back, I know I didn't have a defining moment when God chose me. He kept mentioning it all summer of 2003. I think I finally put my own rifle down in August of that year but I didn't take up His cross until 2004.
And now it's 2007. I have to admit, I'm not a baby Christian anymore. So...how the heck did all of it happen?!
When I first became a Christian, I did not have people running to my side to help me learn the Bible. I had one person, Joey. He took me to Borders in September of 2003 and we picked a Bible out together. Joey was the one I bounced my questions to...and then Noel....and then Reta Corr...I barely knew my pastors. I didn't know anyone at Riv.
BUT HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?
2004 was so much more defining. Dan and Suzanne came into my life. Sommerlot and I got to know each other. Kate Mazur and I met and she became my mentor. Chuck Wynn was also a defining person who taught me about the Bible. It was the teachings at Riverview. It was the encouragement of these people. All of this somehow brought me from out of the darkness.
And it blows my mind.
I could have slipped through the cracks. I could have listened to even my best friends who thought I had gone crazy. I could have taken on too much as a new believer. But God introduced me to the people He needed me to know....and the ones who helped me grow....
2005 was really when the permanent peeps were sent to me. Jennwy, Peter, Yi...my closest friends. Defining moments in a movie theater lobby and on a small journey to Germany. A harsh reality where I turned away from Christ and followed myself. People rallied around me.
2006 was like a rebuilding year and Joyce taught me even more. God sent me on another mission trip as a runner, which I'm not, and here I am in 2007.
This was not a phase. This was a lifestyle change. This was me realizing that it wasn't about me at all. And now, I cannot say I am a baby Christian. I can't say that when I read Randi-Kay's blog or listen to someone who doesn't know how to pray. These four years have tested my faith, refined it and strengthened it. I do know how to pray. I do know a lot of the answers to people's questions. I do not get as timid as I used to (though I still do!). I somehow grew up even though I'm still growing...but I'm not falling down as much.
Trials will still come my way. Friends will leave and new friends are waiting to be met. Lessons are waiting to reveal themselves. And I am not afraid because I am not alone.
Lord of all that's right
With all your might
Please hold me
Father, take me
Into your arms
Save.....
me from harm
Be thou my guide
KEEP.MY.STEPS. RIGHT.
No comments:
Post a Comment