Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me." 10 Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'" 11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.
The Lord has been dealing with me for the last few months, and I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you that at times I questioned Him; my faith, my life , decisions, (ect..), in the midst of it all. The strange thing is that now I feel as though I’m hearing Him more clearly than I ever have before. I’m fortunate in that I’ve had good Christian teaching, and knew enough to allow God to do what he wanted to do in me.
There was a point where I thought I saw a way out and really struggled as to whether to take it. Ultimately I decided that I would have to let things run their course, or else I’d only have to go through another trial down the road (that’s how it works with God!). The long and short of this thought is this: Jesus was tempted of Satan with the very things that God had promised him. We’ve been taught that time and time again. What we often miss in this verse is that the temptation wasn’t have the things (He was going to have them anyway). The temptation was that He could have them now! The temptation was that he wouldn’t have to suffer death, at the cross to get them. Satan came when Jesus was weak tired and hungry, and offered Him a quick way out (sort of like casinos, or the lottery huh?J) Sure, he would have gotten the things; but He would have never seen the glory of God, and neither will you if you bite from the apple of the immediate.
Serving God isn’t easy; but Jesus proved that it’s well worth the price!
No comments:
Post a Comment