In a continuation of JM’s teaching on being offended
Ummm…I’m emotional. We are all emotional. The difference is that I tend to live by my emotions. Not a good thing. Emotions = good; Living by emotions = bad. God gives us emotions and they help us in many situations. I was stunned when Joyce talked about not worshiping our feelings. Instead of asking myself “What do I feel?” I need to ask “what do I BELIEVE?”
We have all been burned by someone in our past. Guess what? We will be burned by someone in the future, too. Sometimes we become jaded and untrusting. Tired of being hurt, we wonder what people’s ulterior motives are. It is important to know that God does not have an ulterior motive. He just loves you and wants the best for your life.
At least once a day, I hear myself say outloud or in my head “I don’t feel…(fill in the blank).” That’s good news! Joyce explained how right feelings come from right decisions. Once you make a right decision, your feelings will follow. Do what’s right when it still feels wrong. Jesus told the disciples to cast their nets on the other side of the lake. Peter explained to Jesus they had been fishing all night and they were exhausted. Also, they had already tried that side of the lake and had no luck. Peter felt tired but he believed Jesus and followed him.
I am striving to be more emotionally balanced. Those closest to me know what a roller coaster ride I can be. Step 1: admit you have a problem (my emotions aren’t me). I have free will. I can go with how I feel or I can go with God’s word. I tried it the other day when for whatever reason, I just felt nasty and hateful. I prayed to God and said, “I believe you can help me by removing these feelings or letting me have control over them.” My brattiness subsided.
Yes, there will be a part 3 and 4 and even a 5 or more of Being Offended. The reason is because I have been offended for over a year and it was these teaching that made it start to subside. I need to record why. Peace out.
No comments:
Post a Comment