Parable 1: Jesus Anointed by a Sinful Woman
I decided I was going to do a Bible Study. I study in my bi-weekly small group, at Riv and sometimes in my Wednesday small group but I wanted to do one on my own. I decided that each week, I would study one of Jesus’ parables to help me understand them better so that I will know and understand HIM better.
The thing is, I need your help if you are willing. So, timid reader, would you be willing to step out of the shadows to help me with this Bible study?
We will begin with this one:
Jesus Anointed by a Sinful Woman
36Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. 37When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, 38and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.
39When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner."
40Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you."
"Tell me, teacher," he said.
41"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii,[d] and the other fifty. 42Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"
43Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled." "You have judged correctly," Jesus said.
44Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."
48Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."
49The other guests began to say among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?"
50Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
Holly’s thoughts:
First: the host of the dinner—the Pharisee. The Pharisee invites Jesus to dinner and Jesus accepted. Were they friends? How did they know each other? My understanding of the Pharisees is they didn’t like Jesus one bit. He threw their religiousy attitudes back in their faces. This relationship must be different. He invited Jesus to dinner so that must say something about the Pharisee. Perhaps he was curious about Jesus? This Pharisee is willing to learn from Jesus as He tells a story and even calls Jesus teacher. Hmmm…. The Pharisee also considers Jesus’ divinity when he says, “If this man were a prophet...” This could mean that this Pharisee was at least considering Jesus was somewhat divine instead of the whacko everyone else thought he was. Did this Pharisee have a name? Jesus calls him Simon. Isn’t one of the disciples named Simon? This isn’t one of the twelve is it? The Pharisee responds by calling Jesus teacher…so could he be a disciple?
Jesus makes some comments about the Pharisee’s hospitality. The Pharisee didn’t offer Jesus water to wash his feet. Back in the day, this would have been a normal thing to do as one’s feet got very dirty walking around in sandals. Why didn’t the Pharisee offer the water? People greeted each other with a kiss, much like they do in the Arabic culture now. This man did not greet Jesus in this manner. Why didn’t the Pharisee kiss Jesus? I’ve read that oil was nice for someone’s head in those days because there weren’t a variety of shampoos. The Pharisee didn’t offer Jesus oil for His head. Why? I’m not so sure that Jesus was “keeping score” of what the host was and was not doing for his guest. I think Jesus was responding to the low faith level and the judgment call made by the Pharisee when he said, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner." Maybe she was a sinner (like all of us) but look how SHE treated Jesus.
Second: the Sinful Woman
What made this woman sinful? What this parable tells us about the woman: she lived a sinful life, she is a sinner, she was weeping, her many sins have been forgiven. The woman had heard Jesus was at the house and went there wanting to see Him. Why? We can guess that this woman was a prostitute because her hair was available to wipe Jesus’ feet. Women did not leave their hair exposed unless they were “loose”. So why did this sinful woman want to see Jesus so badly? To turn a trick? No. Immediately, she bowed down to Him, served Him by washing His feet and not with water but with her own tears. She was crying. Why? Was she looking for forgiveness? Was she ashamed? If you notice, the woman never says a word. It is her actions of humbling herself before someone she viewed as her savior that show us who she is and what she seeks: forgiveness.
Third: the story
So, two dudes owed a lot of money. One owed 500 denarii and one owed 50. Neither could pay. So, the moneylender forgave both of them. Who was more appreciative? The one who owed more, of course. Actually, I’m not sure I totally get that. How can you compare someone’s appreciation with another person’s but whatever. Jesus agreed so I trust Him. The part I’m struggling to understand is probably the main point of the whole parable: 47Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little." I know we are to forgive every sin committed against us as we are forgiven for the ones we commit. But what is Jesus trying to say about forgiveness and love? She loved Him more so she is forgiven more? Or, she loved Him more which showed how strong her faith is in Christ as her savior therefore, her sins are forgiven?
Those are some of my thoughts. Do you have any light you can shed? Direction to point me in? Points to make? Clarifications? Please, comment away…
2 comments:
So many different points can be drawn out of a parable. I think you are on the right track with this one though.
The pharisee felt justified by his religion. His adherence, or performance, to the "law" is what he put his faith in. In his mind, he didn't need saving. And even if he did come to realize his eternal state, he wouldn't need "much saving."
The woman on the other hand was a major sinner. She felt the impact of her own sin emotionally, physically and spiritually. When great debts are paid, there is such a sense of relief. When small ones are paid, a simple "thank you" might be uttered.
One of the points that can be drawn here is that we can all be saved. That it is by grace, not by effort. And those who readily admit the depths of their sin experience the grace more than those who cover theirs up by good works.
Being destitute is a great starting place. The total dependence on God. It is when we begin to build some self sufficence that we begin to rely on God less and less.
Our works will get in the way of our relationship.
Don't sin to be forgiven more, but don't hide your sin either or you will miss out on the wonderful experience of grace.
But that's just off the top of my head. I am sure there is even more that can be pulled from it!
Keep studying!
-Johnny
Johnny, this helped so much. Thank you! Its still difficult for me to interpret sometimes and I knew there were several things going on. Jesus was one smart dude.
~Holly
PS: Please come back next week!
Post a Comment