Thursday, July 13, 2006

I had to write this. Today, we had a fun event called Cheeseburgers In Paradise. Our Fun Team grilled us food and I sat outside with co-workers enjoying the Buffett music. I was starving by the time I got my food which was almost 2:00 (I usually take lunch around 11:30). I bit into my cheeseburger and....I saw this grisley, nasty, gray, nobby thing staring back at me. I spit out my food and tried hard not to make a huge deal of it. These things sometimes happen. But ewwwww!!!!!! And why am I so picky? No, I didn't eat the rest and I didn't go get a new burger. I ate the chips and oatmeal raisin cookie. That was my lunch. I was kind of bummed but I would have been more bummed if said gross thing had made it into my mouth.

On a totally random sidenote, I was telling a woman I work with how I was going to see Joyce Meyer tonight by myself. She started going into this negative speech about how it is going to be packed, I'll be way in the back and how she would rather sit in the luxury of her home to watch it on tv. Then she said, "I remember when I first became a believer. I was so on fire for the Lord. I went to a whole bunch of conferences." Then she sighed, as if she were thinking about an old lover. Is that going to be someday? Will I lose the passion I have for Him? God...please...no.

5 comments:

Yi said...

Losing my passion for God is one of my biggest fear... What can we do to make sure that doesn't happen?

The Professor said...

Pray to God to keep you strong...and pray for God to give you faith...Faith is a gift of God not a product of our own chosing.

Therefore trust in the Lord with all your heart and his promises to us remain even through eternity! Nothing is too small or too big for God :o)

VRA said...

I don't think you will ever lose your passion, but life may affect your motor. *Please don't think this next part is to sound negative, or like excuses, it's just life* You're all single right now and basically have the only responsibility of yourself. There may come a time in each of your lives where you have spouses (well, hopefully not plural), children, etc... No, the spouses and children don't hold you against your passion, just your drive. Conferences may not be as easy, maybe because of babysitting, ballet or soccer. Sunday morning service may not be as convenient, maybe because of a sick child, teething child or a classmates'princess themed birthday party that you promised your little girl she could attend but have yet to buy the gift for. Knowing this, you have to make sure your lives are as flexible as they are now, just a different kind of flexibility with less selfishness and more selflessness--does that make sense? Ask some of your pastors with children, or some of the others with children how they manage their time to make God a priority. It can be done (my sister Shawn has to juggle 2 kids, 2 step kids, a husband who works occassionally on weekends, church and a social life and try to cram everything into her weekends), it's just a matter of setting a schedule for yourself and being willing to veer off that schedule because of uncontrollable circumstances.

Ok, I'm done now!

Me said...

VRA, that was an encouraging comment.

Anonymous said...

Wow, VRA. Thanks for writing that. We do get caught up. All of us. Of course, Joyce and Riv have me so fired up right now that I don't know how I could ever lose my passion. I think staying in a church and in community with Christians will continue to sharpen my saw. And they all know they have a responsibility to keep my saw sharp :o) As I learned today, they have to challenge and spur me to act. Got that, friends?
~Holly