Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Chicago~Day One

Two weeks later....I'm finally updating on the Chicago Trip....

Day One
Neither Joey or I had cash on us so we stopped by the QD in front of the train station. ATM: Broken. But we had a pleasant surprise because our friend Shanna was there buying coffee before work. We ended up at the grocery store across the street and paid a $2 fee. Grrrr. Made it to the train station and the darn thing was about 45 minutes late. Cool thing was we got to know George and Lori from Riverview. There was also some fun people to look at...though some of them reminded us too much of people we didn't exactly want to think about. Got our seat on the train, ate our snacks, decided to read The 5 Love Languages, and listened to my MP3 player. Arrived in Chicago and went straight to Cereality. I got the Life cereal with bananas and honey drizzled on top. Joey got something with peaches in it. Both were oh, so good.

We finished eating and decided that since it was a nice day, we would walk to our hotel....1.7 miles from where we were. The issue here was the heat. It was hot outside.

"How hot was it, Holly?"

Well, kids, it was so hot, the wheel on Joey's suitcase melted off.

Yes, that's right. The tire melted off and he had to drag the suitcase the last 1/4 mile.

We made it to the Sheraton and checked in. This was where God had set up a little test for us (how sweet of Him). The lady told Joey that she could upgrade his room for free: a king size bed with a jacuzzi. Joey whimpered. A jacuzzi? How sweet would that have been! But he took a deep breath and through gritted teeth said, "no, I'll stick with the double beds." Later, when he told me about it, I also whimpered because my feet hurt from walking and I had to soak them in the bathtub. All for the glory of God.

We changed into our suits and headed down to the beach next to Navy Pier. Yes, there are beaches in Chicago. I picked the spot to sit and we began to people watch. There was a very interesting group of people laying near us. Too long to go into detail about but let's just say that after laying in the sun for an hour, Joey was suddenly ready to go. Why? Here's why:

Me: Why do we have to leave?
JAC: Just trust me.
Me: Okay. Um, where did that girl go that was laying with that dude on the comforter?
JAC: Um....she's under the blanket?
Me: Under the blanket?
JAC: Yes, now let's go.
Me: Ohhhhhhh. That's sick.

So, we cleaned up back at the hotel and then set out to find the world famous Billy Goat Tavern and ice cream at Ghiradellis.

2 comments:

The Professor said...

no joke...it was gross...I had nightmares about the beach incident!

VRA said...

I just made some Ghiradelli brownies--YUM!

You should have taken the room--you both had swimsuits and pajamas, right? SO...what's the problem...you would have had the ULTIMATE test! ;-)