So I had a thought last week as I removed my toenail polish. I was thinking about Evolution and how I just cannot figure out how we came from apes or amebas or whatever we “evolved” from. There are so many reasons why humans could not have evolved but suddenly it seemed so clear for just one main reason: sex. Okay, follow me here. I know this is not an original thought but it seemed like I was being given an insight into something no one had thought of before. Somehow, we evolved into male and female. We evolved so perfectly that (for the most part) there are not any in-between sexes. You fall into one category or the other. How did nature decide that?
Now, for our species to survive, we have to procreate. Sex. How could this process be so perfect? Our male and female parts fit. But there’s more. Sex feels good. So good, in fact, we seek it all the time. How could pleasurable sex evolve? The answer is so obvious.
God created sex for us to multiply. But He had to make sex something we would want to do. He also wanted us to do it often with our spouse. He made it good so we would stay together forever. I remember Noel teaching on sex. He made a good point when he said we could have been amebas that just split off from the main body. There didn’t have to be a human connection. There didn’t have to be sex.
Another point: Clothes. Hang with me. This is going somewhere. If evolution starts with the Big Band Theory, Creationism starts with God. He made Adam. He gave Adam millions of animals. Adam was still lonely. God pulled Eve from Adam’s middle. They had each other but they also had God. They were naked and not ashamed because they didn’t know what naked meant. God told them exactly who they were. Then, Satan deceived them, telling the pair they could be as great as God. They bit and immediately knew they were naked. The relationship with God was broken. God would no longer tell them who they were. Adam and Eve realized they were naked and they felt shame. They tried to clothe themselves but failed. God had to kill an animal to clothe them. In Searching For God Knows What, Donald Miller sums all of this up: Evolution may explain how we came from apes, but it does nothing to explain why we wear clothes.
Yeah. So, who told us to start wearing clothes? Who told us it was shameful to be naked? Why is it a deep seeded notion that we must wear clothes? Sure, society tells us but where and why did this…evolve?
Must have been the nail polish remover….
4 comments:
What about the African culture, they don't walk around completely clothed.
That's easy, Kell. They are more evolved than we are. They don't need clothes to tell them who they are. Makes sense, right?
What's funny is Yi and I were tripping over the depth of all this and you throw a simple, logical thought into it. I don't know an answer or theory to your question. I do notice they are still somewhat clothed, though not to the extent we are. As you even said, "completely clothed." I need more time to either A.) Finish reading Searching For God Knows What B.) Wait for Donald Miller himself to respond to my e-mail or C.) Wait for God Himself to help me out here by either leading me to the truth or helping me realize it was the nail polish remover.
~HB
PS: Maybe its something you'll realize when you're older...like...say....30. Ha! You know you want to be 30 with me.
I'm going to skip posting a response to this for fear of extra wrinkles, frown lines and crows feet!
hee hee
Post a Comment