“There is a reason I wanted to tell you that story,” Albie said. “Not just because I want to persuade you, which I do. Those among us who have found the truth long for everyone else to have it. But it was because of what you said about yourself. You said Dr. Ben-Judah was one who loved the unlovable. He does, of course. This is a Christlike quality, a Jesus characteristic. But then you referred to yourself as unlovable, and I identified with you.
“But more than that, Ms. Durham, if I may use a phrase of Dr. Ben-Judah’s. Often he will say that this or that truth ‘gives the lie’ to certain false claims. Have you heard him say that, and do you know what it means?”
She nodded.
“Well, it applies to you, dear woman. I have just met you, and yet God has given me a love for you. Rayford and his family and friends speak of you and their love for you. That gives the lie to your claim that you are unlovable.”
“They shouldn’t love me,” she said, just above a whisper.
“Of course they shouldn’t. You know yourself. You know your selfishness, your sin. God should not love us either, and yet he does. And it is only because of him that we can love each other. There is no human explanation for it.”
The Mark from the crappy “Left Behind” series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
You know, I don't get it. If I knew me, I'm not so sure I would want to be my friend. Not that I'm a horrible friend...I feel like if people knew the person I really am sometimes, they wouldn't want to know me. That makes it sound like I have a bunch of shallow friends...or I live a duplicitas life. Naw...sometimes things just go through my head...
And then there is God...
I have been so strong in my faith only to turn my back on Him. If I were God, I wouldn't want to forgive me. But I'm not God...and God isn't human...and then there's Christ which is the reason I can be forgiven.
Did you screw up? I know I have. Not talking to God much right now? At all? Been there. You can come back, you know. Anytime. He's waiting for you, you know. Maybe your best friend would never forgive you for how you've behaved...but He will. How can you not love Him with all your heart? I wish I knew the answer to that one, too.
2 comments:
Well put!
Only Dorks like Dan and Noel think the Left Behind books are "crappy!" BURN!!! :op
Just kiddin'...
Oh no...here it comes...
Post a Comment