I woke up to phone calls telling me not to leave the house. The roads are ice. I-94 has reported 13 accidents. Ingham county: 30. A woman was killed on 127 North near the Cedar Street exit in Mason. Damn. It is all so close to home. I was just on these roads last night totally not aware of the coming weather. It's silly to think, when will my luck run out? I don't believe in luck but I still say that in my head sometimes.
I went outside to get a bag from my car and as soon as my feet hit the pavement, I slipped. Didn't fall but did skate to the Ion. My car was covered in ice but not frozen. Everything looks so normal. Joey's warning to me was, "it might look fine outside but it isn't." He got up really early for a wrestling tournament at Sexton. He still wasn't there an hour after he left. I heard the panic in his voice. "Holl, there was a fatality...in Mason. Don't leave the house." I used to see this part of him as an over-reaction... But more and more, I see the genuine concern for my safety and how just thinking about me being on the road was causing him anxiety.
Two winters ago, I made a dumb decision to drive to Lansing at midnight one Friday. I was doing almost 80 on I-96 with the cruise control on. When I neared Brighton, I noticed a car...two cars...now three cars had gone off the road. On the opposite side of the freeway, ambulances, tow trucks, police. "What's going on?" I asked myself. Hello? Ice. I immediately freaked out, took myself off cruise and slowed to 10 mph....not braking, of course. I got off at the Grand River exit and took backroads all the way to Lansing. Not a bright idea either but no one was rushing past me. I called JAC and asked him, "I was being so stupid. I was speeding on an icy road? I should have been in the ditch with the rest. Why not? Why not me?" "Because it wasn't your lesson to learn today by going in the ditch. I don't know why but it just wasn't." Don't get me wrong. I do not think that because I am saved, I will be protected from the elements. There IS a lot I'm protected from but not the elements of this earth. I guess it just wasn't in my storyline to go in the ditch but my story is still playing out.
And now I see how hurricanes and earthquakes are dangerous because if we here in the Lansing-Jackson area risk driving today, we may be hurt or killed. Of course, you risk that anywhere or anytime but the stakes are a lot higher today. Still, I'm safe inside the house. It won't blow away or fall inside the earth.
Problem #1....there isn't any food. This might be bad after all....of course, I can work on my res. and there's always blogging....
No comments:
Post a Comment