Since the age of four, my father has been bringing me to the Michigan State home football games. I went through a stage where I hated it, feeling cold, bored and bratty about the whole thing. I looked forward to watching Zeike the wonder dog and eating caramel popcorn. When I was in 6th grade, I began to pay attention to the game, memorized the roster and stalked some of my favorite players. After high school, I still came to some of the games. In fact...and this is embarrassing...I cried my way into the stadium when I was a junior at CMU. I was late getting to the game...Nick Saban's first as the coach...and my dad had already gone in. I explained to the security guard that if he allowed me to go to my dad's seat, my dad would have a ticket I could show. When I was told no, I began to cry. Security became embarrassed and escorted me to my dad's section (117). When we got there, he told me just to go...no need to get the ticket. Good thing because I think my dad had sold it.
You can read another story about my exploits at MSU online. I was not portrayed correctly. The shoes weren't leather. They were from Payless. And I looked cute so...so what. Yet, this article is a reminder as to why I don't over tailgate (that and the whole "not giving God glory" thing).
A lot has changed over the years but you can usually find my father and step-mom in the same tailgating spot they've been in since the early 80s, under a tree, next to the Red Cedar, across from the stadium. The perfect spot to eat sandwiches, toss the ball around and watch the band go through.
Anyhow, here is a recap of the Michigan State vs. Michigan games I remember. I didn't write these (I did write the stuff in green).
Oct. 10, 1987 MSU 17, Michigan 11 at East Lansing, Spartan Stadium (77,424) Michigan State ended 18 years of frustration with its first victory over Michigan at Spartan Stadium since 1969. The determined Spartans of coach George Perles were led by their All-America running back Lorenzo White, who rushed for 185 yards on 34 carries and scored both of State's touchdowns. The MSU defense shut down Michigan's running game and thwarted the Wolverines' passing attack by intercepting seven passes, three by defensive back John Miller. The Spartans continued their winning ways and went on to capture the conference championship. This was one of the games that allowed us to go to the Rose Bowl. I still have my ticket stub.
Oct. 13, 1990 MSU 28, Michigan 27 at Ann Arbor, Michigan Stadium (106,188) This was probably the most incredible game ever played in the long, colorful history of the Michigan-Michigan State series. The contest featured everything -- drama, excitement and controversy. Twice Michigan led, twice MSU led and four times the game was tied. After Highland Hickson's second touchdown gave the Spartans a 21-14 lead in the fourth quarter, the Wolverines' Desmond Howard struck like lightning and scored on an electrifying 95-yard kickoff return to tie things up. The Spartans came right back and Tico Duckett gave them a 28-21 lead with less than two minutes remaining. Michigan made one last charge and narrowed the margin to a point on a seven-yard touchdown pass from Elvis Grbac to Derrick Alexander with six seconds left in the game. The Wolverines elected to go for a two-point conversion and the win. Grbac threw to Howard in the end zone who was tripped and dropped the pass as he hit the ground. No pass interference was called and Michigan State had an upset victory over Michigan, which was ranked No. 1 heading into the game. I didn't attend this game but I remember talking to Eddie brown about it. He was the guy who "tripped" Desmond Howard. I congratulated him on the win and he smiled.
Oct. 9, 1999 MSU 34, Michigan 31 at East Lansing, Spartan Stadium (76,895) On a sunny afternoon at East Lansing, Michigan State defeated Michigan in a wild duel between quarterbacks Bill Burke of State and Tom Brady of Michigan. The Spartans dominated the first three quarters, and held what appeared to be a commanding 27-10 lead. But the Wolverines rallied with three fourth quarter touchdowns to pull within three points with two minutes remaining. State then recovered an on-side kick and ran out the clock. On the day, Burke hit 21 of 30 passes for 400 yards and two touchdowns. Wide receiver Plaxico Burress had a field day for the Spartans, hauling in 10 of Burke's passes for 255 yards. Brady completed 31 of 40 passes for 285 yards, most of which came during Michigan's furious final period comeback attempt. I think I was at this game...but I actually don't remember.
2002 MSU 26, Michigan 24 at East Lansing, Spartan Stadium. T.J. Duckett had a 230-yard day against No. 6 Michigan: The final 2 were all that mattered. Jeff Smoker, scrambling and off-balance, lobbed a 2-yard touchdown pass to Duckett on the last play of the game as Michigan State beat Michigan 26-24 on Saturday, likely ending the Wolverines chances of playing in the Rose Bowl for the national championship. Duckett, who ran for 211 yards and added 19 receiving yards, found an opening in a crowded end zone, just beyond a couple leaping Wolverines. And Smoker spotted him in the nick of time. "I was jumping up and down in the end zone, waving my arms," Duckett said. "It's a big win for our program." After the catch, Duckett was swarmed in the end zone by his celebrating teammates in front of a cheering student section. There was no extra point attempt, and officials did not immediately explain why. There were seven lead changes between the Spartans (5-2, 3-2 Big Ten) and Wolverines (6-2, 4-1) and neither team led by more than seven points. Michigan State, with one time out left, started the winning drive at Michigan's 43 with 2:09 left. On a fourth-and-16 from the 50, an incomplete pass turned into a first down for Michigan State when cornerback Jeremy LeSueur was called for a personal foul for making contact with receiver Charles Rogers' face mask. Later, Michigan was flagged for having too many players on the field, which gave the Spartans a second-and-4 at the 12. All of my friends drove in to town for this game. We watched it at the Spartan Sports Den. It was too much fun.
And yes. I remember the heartbreak of last year. This year...I won't be at the game but my pops and I are going out to tailgate and make sure we get down to the river in time for the bands...some things don't change and I like it that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment