I slept well Saturday night into Sunday morning. I showered before the others woke and made my way to the speedboat to just sit and read the Bible. While I was sitting there, I looked out onto the lake. It was so beautiful. Prayers were definitely answered. The sky was mainly clear with a few scattered clouds. The sun warmed me and I just kept smiling up at God, thanking him for such peace and beauty. As I studied the lake, I noticed the pontoon boat was gone. The guys had were fishing. I smiled at their obsessions and began to read James 2. Soon, I could hear voices from the kids frolicking on shore. I was safely hidden in the boat, though. Footsteps on the dock caused me to turn from James. Tom was approaching.
“They left without me,” he sighed. I didn’t mean to laugh. Tom just seemed so pathetic. I read him some stuff from James 2 and he agreed. “There must be some sort of lesson God wants you to learn,” I said with a smile. The guys came in to pick Tom up and I returned to reading.
My stomach forced me inside where I found an assortment of breakfast goodies. As I ate, my cousin Ryan and his wife arrived. We chatted and then headed out to the boat. Before we got there, we were stopped by Cory who had returned from the fishing expedition.
“Catch anything?” I asked.
“Uh…no…unless you mean myself.”
“You caught yourself?”
“No, he hooked himself,” Jeff chimed in.
“You got the hook caught when you were casting out?! Ow!” I said.
“No,” Cory explained, “I sat on the hook.”
Apparently, he didn’t just sit on any hook. He sat on a three way hook or something. Jeff had to cut him away from the seat, cut the barb off the hook and then feed the hook through the skin of Cory’s butt. Gretchen was a little upset. “Cory, those were the shorts I ordered for you for Christmas…the ones you wanted so bad…the ones that were back ordered for weeks…” “Glad to see your concern, sweetie,” Cory said.
After Jeff doctored Cory up, we went out tubing. Cory, who is tall, skinny with a full head of hair, tubed with Ryan, who is short, stocky, and…well…less hair. Anyhow, Jeff tried to dump them off the tube but was unsuccessful. Finally, he tried a figure 8 and Ryan started to fly off the tube. Cory reached out at the last second and pulled Ryan back onto the tube. They hit another set of waves and Ryan went flying into the air but Cory managed to hang on. We were laughing so much in the tube…it was awesome. Lyndsay took some more trips on the tube and built her confidence up (thanks to Jimmy who is a swimming coach). Soon, she was putting her chin on her hands and doing a no hands move to show that she was more comfortable. She even convinced Gretchen to go on the tube with us. After our mild ride was finished, I asked Gretchen if she had fun. “Yeah, I did.” “See, Gretchen, you just have to conquer your fears,” Lyndsay explained.
We ended the day with a huge dinner. My uncle had received his bachelor’s degree from Western so Michael brought a cake. We didn’t have the whole family there but it was still a great turnout. Before we left, I went tubing again. Cory tried to dump me but I held on tight, even as I was flying into the air, I would not let go. Cory slowed the boat down and everyone clapped for us. “That was awesome!” they yelled.
I want to live on a lake.
2 comments:
Buy my mom's house on Duck Lake. It hink they're going to sell it soon! :-)
I realized the hard way, I'm too old for tubing. I enjoy it, but my body doesn't enjoy it when I ache for days afterwards! :(
Take the slow, easy ride, Kell. Much better than the old days. I still have scars from Duck Lake...
Post a Comment