Monday, July 25, 2005

A story from Dana:

“So I went to Kohl’s on Friday and I saw this Asian woman in the parking lot. She was tiny, maybe 100 pounds but the reason I noticed her was because she was dressed in pink…from head to toe. She had on a pink shirt, pink pants, pink rhinestone glasses…all pink. Anyhow, she ran up to me and I thought she was going to ask me for the time or a question about the store. Instead she said, ‘Do you believe in Jesus Christ?’ I was a little stunned but I smiled and said, ‘Yes, I do.’ She looked at me, surprised. ‘Well, He died for you sins, you know,’ she went on. ‘Yes,’ I said confidently with a smile, ‘I know.’ ‘Oh, ok,’ she said as she scurried into the store. Holly, I don’t know why but I thought about you and your friends on the mission trip."

Everyone has their own mission...which is why I bought this shirt.

Dan has really got me thinking about missions. I made some commitments on Sunday, knowing that just because I did this mission trip doesn't mean I'm done. My mission is to be a missionary every day should the opportunity arise. Wearing pink from head to toe and approaching people isn't my thing but living by example, Christ's example, and serving others is my approach. I really have to pay attention and know that non-Christians are watching me, waiting for me to slip. I went to a party in Charlotte this weekend and they all teased me about being a Christ Follower. I smiled and gently teased back. Standing your ground is tough, maybe the most difficult mission of all.

4 comments:

The Professor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Professor said...

First...I want one of those shirts...way cool!

Second...it sounds to me like you are doing a good job of your Mission. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is love those who don't love you the same way. Especially if they are making fun of you. ;o) God love you no matter what happens, what you've done, what you are going to do. He died for it all. He LOVES you even if...

Anonymous said...

Just remember, your feedback and impact will rarely be immediate. It's great when you can witness the effects firsthand but you never really know how people will hang on to your words or your example for days, weeks, months and even years. I know just having watched you go through these things I've questioned things I might not have thought twice about had I not met you. I've revisited ideals I once thought had figured out or even worse, outgrown. Eventually this "mission" will become less of a mental switch you have to remember to turn on, you'll just be living life in a way that makes you happy.

Holly said...

Thank you, Anonymous...whoever you are.