Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Honesty and Kindness

I just read something cool in my little Daily Bread booklet:

Honest people can be cruel. Kind people may be soft and not concerned enough about righteousness. But when you put honesty and kindness together, you have a wonderful pair that honors God and blesses others. Tact is the ability to make a point without making an enemy.
–Herb Vander Lugt

It reminded me of Saturday at Riv. Someone snapped at me. I’ve always viewed this person as harsh though others have said this person is just “real” and “honest.” Still, even the person next to me said, “whoa. He just yelled at you.” Yeah, and it hurt but the next day I just smiled at him.

This statement by Herb also reminded me of the times I snapped at people. Yes. It happens. I think we should apologize right away for doing it, though. Funny how you think Christians are supposed to be nicey nice all the time. I’m not. But I need and appreciate this reminder.

What is desired in a man is kindness, and a poor man is better than a liar. Proverbs 19:22

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the post... it is something i struggle with... i am going to use the quote on my blog if you don't mind