(Work phone rings)
Me: Hello?
Joey: Holly, I can't find my cat.
Me: Oh no. Which one?
Joey: Hemi...I went to let the dogs out and now I just can't find him...I'm panicking here.
Me: He's in the basement.
Joey: No, I already checked. I called him, shook his food because he usually comes running and nothin. He's disappeared.
Me: Oh no. What are you going to do? You have baseball practice...
Joey: I'm really panicking. Where could he have gone? Wait. There he is.
Me: Where?
Joey: Walking towards me. (To cat) Where were you, Hemi?
Me: Did he tell you?
Joey: No. (To cat) Don't ever do that again, Hemingway. That was bad.
Me: What would you have done if you couldn't find him?
Joey: Cancel practice.
Me: And you would tell them you were canceling practice because....
Joey: ....because I can't find my cat.
Me: This might be an exceptional time to lie. I have to go back to work now.
Joey: Okay, bye.
3 comments:
Reminds me of a funny story. Last week we were in a huge meeting with many local and state leaders, talking about building a child advocacy center here in Citrus County. Archie, Ruth and Mark were the guests of honor, so to speak. They were late, as usual, and in the middle of the meeting at the most awkward time, Archie stands up and says, "sorry we were late, we were looking for our dog". "Seems we lost him somewhere, but he came back when we called him...that was Jessie's dog". It was kinda cute, but very abrupt! Kinda reminded me of this!
So the story really goes....
J: "OH Crap..."
H: "What's wrong?"
J:"Holly...don't freak out like me, but I can't find my cat."
H: "Which one?"
PAUSE
Back ground info: If this would've been Chessie...my other cat...Holly would've started to cry...flipped out...came rushing to Lansing(maybe not)...it is like her daughter or somehthing...they have this "girl bond" between them...she always tattles to Holly if I have left the house a mess ;o)
...but Hemi...big deal...but not totally crisis! :op
UNPAUSE
J:"It's Hemi...I left the door to the outside open when I let the dogs out...he may be outside (he's an indoor only cat....with delusions of gradure of being an indoor/outdoor cat) and he won't come when I call!"
H: "oh no...what r u going to do?" Deperation in both of our voices
J: "Cancel practice...my cat is way more important."....in walks the cat from under the couch...where I just looked and wasn't there. Explaining to Holly that he is alive and well.
Relief..
J:"Bad Hemi...don't you ever do that again!"...
Somewhere...between the two stories...is truth...
Post a Comment