Thursday, May 05, 2005

Picky

It's time to get this out in the open. I am a picky eater but probably not how you think I would be picky. My fussiness changes at random with the different moods I'm in. Here are examples of what I mean:
  • I'll eat chicken wings, but only the white part. You couldn't pay me to put the whole thing in my mouth. Uh-uh. No way. Too many tendons and bloody things.
  • Sometimes, most times, I won't eat chicken at all because sometimes it tastes like wet dogs. Joey thought I was insane when I told him this until our trip last year to Cleveland. We stopped at a KFC and I made him taste some of my meal. He frowned and said in a low voice, almost as if he were speaking to himself, "it DOES taste like wet dogs."
  • When I was in 7th grade, I took a bite out of Jr. Whopper with cheese. I pulled this long, grayish looking this out of my mouth. My 7th grade history teacher (he brought us honor students to BK for a treat) said, "oh, it's just a piece of grizzle." Um, no thanks, man.
  • If I'm eating fish and there is a part that is more brown or gray than the other white parts, I'll eat around it.
  • I don't like to re-heat pizza.
  • I'll freeze stuff and throw it out to make room for other stuff I want to freeze that I will end up throwing out to make room for more stuff I want to freeze...
  • Steak = yuck, tastes too much like blood.
  • I don't trust meats, chicken or fish in frozen, microwave meals. This causes a big problem for lunchtime.

I could go on and on and probably will think of more to post in the future. I'm sure those that know me well have their own stories of when I spit out this or that. I can't help it.

Yesterday, though, I didn't feel full after eating my soup. I prayed to God that someone would offer me a treat later in the day so I didn't get too hungry. It wasn't so much a prayer as it was, "it would be nice if..." Around 3:00, I spotted Anita eating something at her desk.

Me: What are you eating?

Anita: Crazy bread. Want some?

Me: When did you buy it?

Anita: Last night.

Me: Um, no thanks.

Anita: Why not?

Me: I..uh..don't like to heat up bread.

Anita: I don't understand.

Me: I'm not hungry. No thanks.

Anita: Why...you picky, little girl. If you were one of my daughters I would spank you.

Me: I know! I know I'm picky and I know it's horrible!

Anita: You wouldn't have these choices if you lived in a third world country.

Me: Maybe that's why God chose me to live here because he knew I would never make it somewhere else.

Anita: That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Come on (grabs my wrist and pulls me to the kitchen).

Me: (Laughing) Fine, Anita. I'll have some Crazy bread.

Anita: Darn right you will. And you'll thank God for it.

I told her how I had asked God for a treat in the afternoon.

Anita: Well, He listened to you.

Me: But I said, "Um, no thanks, God. That wasn't what I had in mind."

Anita: All the more reason to eat the bread (takes it out of the microwave and hands it to me with a smile).

So, yeah, that's me. I'm a little concerned how things are going to go in Germany....

3 comments:

VRA said...

Chicken Wings: Have to be in a mood but I can only eat the drummies. NEVER put the whole thing in your mouth. EEW.

Wet Dogs: Sometimes milk smells like wet dog. Yuck. No milk unless it has ice.

Reheated Pizza: Yuck, even if it's Pizza Hut--yuck.

Steak: Only if it's marinated first.

Frozen foods: Do the same thing. Can't eat something that's been in the freezer more than, ummm, maybe a month. Gets that nasty freezer burn taste.

Frozen Dinners: Yuck. Well, except pot pies.

The Professor said...

Ya...her habits have rubbed off a little too. I am a picky eater too, but now I am little more weary of what I consume. But that is probably a good thing ;o)

Holly said...

Kell, I knew we were best friends for a reason....