After my birthday dinner a few weeks ago, Joey and I decided to take in a nice, light comedy at the local Celebration Cinema. Because it was my birthday, I chose Hotel Rwanda. Nice pick. My cousin, who is in charge of security at Celebration, just shook his head. "Great movie....if you want to see a bunch of people die." Gulp. There was a point early on in the film where I said, "if these people get shot, I'm leaving." That was how intense the movie really was. I didn't leave, though and I'm glad. Still, the movie was so powerful, we had a hard time leaving after it was over. We felt spaced out and sat down on the couches for no apparent reason.
Joey: I want to join the Red Cross.
Holly: I want to join the Peace Corp.
Joey: I want to sell everything I own and go help people.
Holly: I want to help people, too...maybe even locally.
We were both feeling moved to do something.
And then...well...then God stepped in. Actually, it was Chuck and his roommate who were leaving their movie. We all laughed because Chuck had just eaten dinner with us a few hours before.
Chuck: I didn't know you were coming to the movies tonight.
Holly: Either did we.
Chuck: So...what did you see?
Joey: Hotel Rwanda.
Chuck: Whoa.
Holly: What did you see?
Chuck: We saw Constantine...oh, and do you both know my roommate, Clark?
We shook our heads.
Chuck: Clark, this is Joey and Holly.
Clark: Whoa...Joey and Holly from Riverview.
Joey and I nodded nervously.
Clark: Wow! Glad to finally meet you both. Your names came up in a meeting I was in recently. It was about the mission trip to Germany.
We were floored. Here we were feeling so convicted to go out into the world and do something, serve somehow...and God responded.
We went to the meeting Sunday after church. I didn't sign up because I wanted to pray on it a little. Later, as I was driving back to Walled Lake, I started laughing at myself. What more do I need to know I should do this? A bolt of lightning? An angel? God already gave me the sign. So....I'm doing it. I'm signing up. Now, if God doesn't help out with the money situation, then perhaps I misunderstood His intentions. Still, I do want to ask my friends, family, and leaders for council (that is what us Christians do--seek council). Any thoughts?
See, the thing is...I've never been outside of the continental US. I've never flown over an ocean. I've never been to Europe. I've never had a passport. I've never been the minority. But I have talked to complete strangers about God. I have reached out to my best friends about God. I'm pretty good at gauging when to push forward and when to shut up. I'm also doing my own study of the gospels in an attempt to really get to know Jesus. I'm not afraid to do this mission. I'm really hoping God wants to send me.
3 comments:
hols, ya gotta go. koln has a pretty cool univ area, a street full of night life, where you'll hang out and meet germans. plus koln is pretty historic too. about the only thing that i think is lame is their city beer, it's kolsch, ok, but kinda weak.
steve
Holly--
If you decide to go now is definitely the time to do it! At this point in your life, you have no responsibilities holding you back, other than day to day stuff. When you get married, start a family, etc... it's not as easy to get up and leave to do something you truly want to do. Especially in the time of security that this country is in. Check it out, know your resources if something unexpected happens, stay updated on national security and keep yourself protected.
PS. There are lots of local (USA) groups and organizations that are in need of able bodies too- Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross, Domestic Violence Shelters and Child Abuse Shelters plus many, many others, if you want to help in your own country! :-)
Um ya...I am planning on going too. So now the prayers can start for a safe trip for our group...and that we raise the funds to go.
Post a Comment