Thursday, February 24, 2005

Baptism Fo Shizzim

Sorry about the lame title.

The subject of baptism keeps finding its way into conversations. It began when I posted the picture of me getting "baptized." Kelly asked why I would do it again. I started thinking....

Here is the research I have done on baptism:

  • A water ritual used as a spiritual symbol
  • A sign of repentance (turning away from sin)
  • A sign of conversion (initiating people to the faith)

I also discovered something so obvious in the bible: Jesus was baptized as an adult. In fact, all of the people getting baptized were adults. Where did baby baptism get started?

I have been taught that a baby needs to be baptized soon after birth. Here are some reasons I have received from others this week as to why babies should be baptized: to take away original sin, to make sure the baby goes to heaven in case she or he dies, and to recognize the baby will be a follower of Christ. Great reasons...if they were true. The bible doesn't seem to support these reasons but I've only scratched the surface, I'm sure.

I spoke to Christian confidant at work. I asked her if she had been baptized as a baby. She said yes, but that she was officially baptized when she was in 6th grade. I asked her if she would have her baby baptized. She said no, that she would have a dedication but that the baby, when she or he grows, will decide if and when to be a follower of Christ. She said that baby baptism is done for comfort reasons. It makes everyone feel better. But again, say it with your mouth and believe it in your heart.

My friend Chuck has also helped me understand that my baby baptism may not have actually been a baptism. He sides with my mother, Joey, and my friend from work. Chuck also said you only need to be baptized once, unlike my comment stating that I could do it every year for the rest of my life. Chuck also said, "We become Christians when we personally accept the free gift that God offers us (ie. we stop trusting in our good works and ourselves to get to Heaven, and place our trust in Christ alone and what He has already done for us). It's D-O versus D-O-N-E." This I understand. I was also reminded of this: The Lord said, "You are My friends if you do what I command you." (John 15:14). Jesus commanded us to get baptized when we become Christ-followers.

When I think about getting baptized, I think about a story my friend told me awhile ago. I asked him when he had been baptized. It happened when he was attending First Christian Church in Lansing. The pastor asked for people to come up to the front if they wanted to be baptized. On his own free will, this friend felt convicted to go up to the front with other adults and become baptized. He was 12. His parents were shocked because no one had put any pressure on him or had discussed it with him. Joey just knew he wanted to do it. He said it with his mouth and believed it in his heart.

Therefore, I think I might do it. I don't know why I feel like I already have. I don't know why I feel like it might be a little redundant. I don't know. Maybe I'm not quite there. It's a little scary to think I've been hanging out in this world, struggling to be a Christ Follower and only been sprinkled when I was a babe. Geez, I'm still a babe so I guess I should go for it. Okay, sorry for the lame joke. I'm feeling rather lame tonight. I would like to ask, if you remember to, maybe say a little prayer. Something like, "God, I really pray that Holly would get her act together and let go of some of the traditions she was raised with, the ones that get in the way of truth. I pray that you convict her to keep moving forward and to not stop when she hits these little hang ups. I also pray that you give her the encouragement to face her peers and family when they do not support her new path." Wow. I just prayed for myself on a blog. I've hit a new low.

No comments: