Sunday, January 02, 2005

Bed Time Story

I know. I'm a blogging fool tonight. It's just that Beks is sleeping upstairs and the boys are out playing Golden Tee Live. I am blogging and watching the first episodes of old TV shows on TV Land. I just watched the first episode of the Andy Griffith Show. It actually made me tear up a little...and laugh a little. But I've been a little emotional all day. Want to know why??? Do you really want to know???? Ahhhh.....sure you do. Of course you do! You see, you've read my other posts, almost fell asleep, and thought, "this one ought to do the trick." So, get tucked in...here we go.

We went out to watch the Rose Bowl. Bek and I didn't really want to go but we did. By the end of the 1st quarter, there were no boys to be found near us...they were playing Golden Tee. Bek and I laughed about it and then I asked her a question: after 6 years of dating Ryan, did she think he would propose this year.

This one question opened up a whole evening of intimate discussions about love, friendship, and faith. I was shocked at how interested and open Bek was about my decision to become a Christ follower and the changes I had to make in my life. Well, I wasn't too shocked. She has always been pretty supportive...but I was surprised by something else...it was the way in which we both spoke and listened. It was definitely God in action.

I see something in Becky. I see how she wants a closer relationship with God. I know he wants one with her and maybe, just maybe, he'll use me to bring him to her. And maybe, just maybe, she'll accept him and draw nearer. But maybe it will be awhile still.

Something else that was pretty cool was that the boys joined in the conversation a little bit, too. Ryan started questioning me about the timeline of the bible. I got really nervous and explained I didn't have a lot of the answers. I tried to say I was still a toddler Christian...still wetting my pants-type-Christian. I took a deep breath, said a little prayer, and I believe God and I handled his questions pretty darn well. I think Ryan thinks that if his questions about the history of the bible are answered, then he can really, truly believe. Our answer to him? I still have unanswered questions. At some point, you have to give it up to God and just have faith. But maybe he could start studying the bible and find answers he's looking for.

Oh, and I invited Beks and Ry to Riverview. They were totally down with it. Really excited. Tomorrow, on our way home, I'm going to ask if we can listen to Shattered and see what they say. I certainly don't want to push my beliefs down their throats and I really don't want to push Riverview down their throats...but I want them to have a relationship with God, invite him to their relationship and maybe even finally make that big, leap.

Oh, and Becky was really interested in being invited to my blog...so I'm going to. She will be the only person from that part of my life with access to it. I'm almost fully represented now.

Okay, I'm tired now. Just watched the first episode of Leave It To Beaver. I never realized how funny these shows are. Now, I'm watching the first episode of Sanford & Son but I think it's time for bed. So wake up and go.

No comments: