I went square dancing Friday night. Somehow, I missed out on this wonderful American pastime. We laughed, hysterically, all night long. This feeling kept coming over me, though. It was such an intense, yet peaceful, fun feeling. It was my grandparents.
My grandpa and grandma Beavers used to square dance ALL the time. My grandfather loved it. I even aquired his square dancing certificate and my grandmother's square dancing dress. I have seen the pictures of them, standing there smiling in their gear. I have the newspaper articles grandpa cut out, one was a picture of them in the massive crowd, twirling away. I thought about all this while I danced my little heart away. The feeling they must have had for the dancing, the amusement, each other...it filled me up almost to the point of tears. It was almost like being out on the golf course they built, surrounded my them, their dreams.
I made a decision to have a round of square dancing at my wedding reception someday. I do not care what anyone else thinks or says about it. Ed and Arlene will be honored with the dance and I want nothing more than to share a dance with my grandparents.
2 comments:
I wish I could've seen that! It would've been fun!
the hippie church that I grew up in had an annual square dance. It really was fun. I remember doing the "Grand Rail" where you and your partner slide down in between the walls of people all clapping, stamping and smiling. Good memories.
Post a Comment