Sunday, February 08, 2009

Week Two--Don't Look Down

I thought I had better update on week two as we are about to tackle week three. Last Sunday, Joey and I watched half the Super Bowl with dad. He was definitely rooting for the Cardinals and not the Steelers. He was also trying desperately to communicate something to Joey and I. He kept tapping two fingers on his knee. Every response I gave frustrated him. I wasn't understanding. Joey suddenly said, "two words." Dad shook his head yes with excitement. Shit. He was playing Charades with us! Now this would not be too unusual for dad because as a family, we did and do play Charades. Some of my favorite memories are because of this game. Anyhow, we figured out that he needed something...but what. I asked him if he needed a beer. Yes was the verbal response. I laughed. No way was he getting a beer from me. Anyhow, we never did figure out what it was he wanted...or needed. But we had a small breakthrough when dad was pointing to his bed. Joey asked if he wanted to get in bed. He rolled his eyes and shook his head no. He continued to point to the bed. Did he want a pillow? A blanket? No...NO! It suddenly occured to me that he wanted something on the night stand. Joey picked up a Tootsie Pop. YES! That was what he wanted. Relief. He was also really cute because he kept putting his 3D glasses on.

My aunt Ginny and Uncle Lynn came to see him on Monday. Joey and I went out to dinner with them and drank wine. I'm so glad they came to see me...I mean him :o)

I didn't go up to see dad Tues, Wed or Thurs because I was battling a cold. Lucky for me, the cold never quite moved past the first few stages. I never had the full out symptoms. Friday, I got to see dad in physical therapy. It is still too early to know if he'll regain any mobility on his right side. His speech therapist is really hopeful, though. He can count and say a few words. I swear, it's like I hold my breath waiting to hear his voice and then I get excited just to hear him say simple words like "bye" "wait" "no" "yes". Baby steps....

So, now we are on to week 4. wow. Really? Seems like this whole thing just happened. Oh, and an update on my step-mom...I think she is holding up well. She is definitely trying to be at his therapy sessions. She is doing an awesome job at communicating to him and trying new ways of communication (tic-tac-toe, a deck of cards). She has been amazing.

Oh...and me. Well, I guess I can explain it like this: I'm afraid of heights. I can't go up in a ferris wheel without freaking. I can get on an airplane and ride a roller coaster...so I'm not always afraid. I'm even more afraid in my dreams. I've had dreams where I'll be in a tall building and suddenly the whole building is made of glass and I'm standing on a glass floor way up in the air. THAT is what I feel like now. I'm on this glass walkway and I have to stay focused on getting to the other side, to safety...or I have to focus on Christ and trust God so I need to look up...because the second I look down, I freak out. I panic. I start to wallow. I start to miss my dad. I think negative thoughts. So...I continue to look ahead and up.

Thank you for all of your prayers. We really do need them.

1 comment:

Me said...

Another update plz?