The Week Before
Work sucked. It was so stressful and busy. I cried a lot. I knew I wouldn’t make it all the way through Tuesday. I needed to be back in Lansing. So I took a half day on Tuesday, packed up the rest of my stuff from the apartment and headed home—my new home. I went to Joey’s and worked on the DVDs. Joey’s sister came over and we showed her the memorial DVD. I spent the night in the spare room (my new room!).
Wednesday, May 21 --REVISED
I can hardly believe I forgot to write this part of the story.
Tuesday night after Joey and I went shopping for our bridal party, we stopped by my mom’s to pick up some stuff.
“Did Chuck move Grandma’s trailer, yet?” I asked. I dreaded the answer. The update to my grandma falling ill in January was that she had to move to a home. We found a nice one for her on Keller Road in Holt but now we weren’t sure what to do about the trailer. I loved my grandma’s trailer. It was more of a modular home, pretty clean, sunshiny, happy and full of everything she loved. I took it for granted that she would always live there. It was painful to move her into a home when she wanted so desperately to be in her trailer. She decided that my uncle Chuck would buy the trailer and move it up to his hunting property in Mecosta. Chuck agreed but it had been months. Every week he would tell my mom, “we are moving the trailer this Tuesday.”
Since it was Tuesday, I had decided to ask my mom for an update on the trailer.
“No, he hasn’t moved it. Who knows if he really will.” I was satisfied with the response. So much was changing in my life and I longed for at least one thing to stay the same.
Wednesday I woke up, cleaned, unpacked and worked on the DVDs. I had a schedule I wanted to follow:
10:00 – pick up marriage license from Mason Courthouse
11:00 – go to Riverview to test the Memorial DVD and give them my wedding music
12:00 – appointment at my mom’s work (can’t remember what that was all about)
I couldn’t get something to work for me correctly and ended up spending more time at Joey’s then anticipated. Now, I was grumpy from lack of sleep, increase in stress and wanting to stick to my schedule. I was on my way to Mason and decided to take Eifert to Columbia. I spoke to my step-brother briefly and then my attitude started to change. I felt uplifted, hopeful, happy, excited. Things were going well…until I approached the trailer park my grandma had lived in. I suddenly felt a little sad and empty. I missed having her live there. And then….well….then my attention turned to the truck slowly pulling out in front of me and the semi truck behind it…hauling a trailer that looked just like my grandmother’s. No. flippin. way.
I caught the house number on the side of the trailer as I passed it, trying to maneuver around the truck. My heart was racing and I felt like I was going to throw up. I called my mom.
“Mom….what is grandma’s address?”
“218 Maple Run.”
It was her trailer. I lost my grip and sobbed as I explained to my mom that I had just passed the movers taking her trailer away. My mom was awesome as she said, “I’m so sorry you had to see that, baby. Just remember she is still with us and be thankful.”
By the time I got to the courthouse, I had at least stopped crying but I was still stifling the sobs inside me. I asked the lady behind the desk for the marriage certificate and she had me review it to make sure it was correct. I started crying AGAIN as I read my name with Joey’s name.
I was a mess. Plain and simply complicated. An emotional wreck. Dang.
I went to the church and saw Steve which cheered me. Then, I watched our memorial DVD on the big screen at Riv. Almost lost it again but was able to pull myself together.
I searched for presents for the bridesmaids. I had their spa robes but wanted to get them jewelry. After months of looking for a necklace, I couldn’t find anything. But at Target, with Joey, I found a couple of options. I needed to go to the Target on the west side.
Thursday, May 22
Got up, unpacked some more, cleaned, worked on DVDs, met up with Christine at Target on the west side. Christine and I tried on several different necklace combinations and decided on the one I wasn’t too sure about—the original one Joey had suggested the night before. I bought all the store had but needed a few more. Back to the list of stuff I did. I stopped at the bank to get the check for Kellogg Center, went to Horrocks to pick out flowers for the reception, went to Elderly Music, went to Kellogg Center, met with Pam, finalized numbers, went to cake place, showed them a picture of the cake one last time, called the DJ and left a message asking if I could meet with him again, went to Target and bought slippers for the girls along with necklaces and then got a call from Kelly saying she was on her way to the dress place to get her bridesmaid dress. (Deep breath) Went to Kohl’s to kill time, met Kelly at the Wedding Bell, tried on her dress (it just needed to be hemmed), went to the alterations place, called a whole bunch of people telling them to meet us at Texas Roadhouse at 6:30, hung out at the mall, she followed me to Joey’s, Nick met up with us and then we ate dinner at TR’s. Wow. I was soooo tired after that. But there was still work to do. And can you believe Yi and Jenny came over to help us with our escort cards and seating arrangements? Of course you can because they are AWESOME. I finished up the two of the DVDs (the ones I needed to finish) and then went to bed.
Friday, May 23
Woke up with a splitting headache. Finished copying the Friends and Parents DVD. Worked on the Joey and Holly DVD needed for the reception. I received a phone call from Douggie J’s. They had to cancel my pedicure and reschedule. “Are you kidding me?” I said. I explained how I was getting married in two days and they needed to do something to fix this situation. I have to admit, I wasn’t being Christ like. I was upset. Not even angry. Just disappointed and upset. Bobby came into the dining room and asked if I was okay. “No, I’m not. I’m overwhelmed and getting upset about stuff I shouldn’t be getting upset about. This isn’t really that important.” “You know what, Holl,” Bobby said, “I hate it when people say that because it is important. It’s important to you. Don’t discount that.” I was blown away by his advice and comforting words. I love Bobby D.
Douggie J’s called back and had found someone to do my nails and pedicure at the same time. Unfortunately, my other bridesmaids had their appointments changed. I found out later it was for another wedding party. I was now at migraine status and had to lay down. Joey came home for lunch and tried to help. I slept. I knew I had a nail appointment at 1:30 so I took my time getting ready. Jenny called. Douggie J’s called. My appointment had been for 12:45. It was 1:00. Dang. How could I have forgotten? Looking back, it’s no wonder.
Jenny, being the awesome person she is, switched my appointments around and I still got my nails and pedicure. I had dreamed of Jenny, Yi and I getting them all done at the same time but oh well. Let it go. I got back to Joey’s and we finished putting the gift packages together. I had meant to go to Charlar Place (where the rehearsal dinner was being held) to make sure the DVDs would work but never got the chance. Joey loaded the car and we left for Riverview.
It was surreal walking into the church and rehearsing for my wedding. I still didn’t feel like it was really happening to me. Me? ME!?! After some minor drama I won’t mention, the rehearsal was under way. As a joke, I had Kristie play the theme from Leave It To Beaver when my dad and I walked down the aisle. It went over well but poor dad thought I was really going to walk down to that song. Because of our large bridal party, the attendants had to stand on three rows, staggered. I didn’t like it at all but forgot to tell Devon, the wedding coordinator. At the end of the rehearsal, Noel pulled all of us together and I smiled as I looked around the room. These were my bestest, closest friends and family in one room at the same time at Riverview, my favorite place in the world. I took it all in and just smiled.
We had fun at the dinner. The food was so good. My aunt presented a gift to Joey and I from herself and grandma. It was a blanket my grandma had started long ago and my aunt finished for us. We were all in tears as my aunt presented us with the blanket.
Sometime during the dinner we realized the DVD was not going to work with the equipment provided by Charlar Place. I could have kicked myself for not checking ahead of time. I just had this feeling…. We had also forgotten to put Lyndsay’s gift in the car. Junior stepped up and drove back home. He grabbed all the computer stuff on the dining room and put it in a clothes basket. Somehow, everything worked out and we were able to view the DVDs (though the quality was crappy).
There were laughs and tears as we gave everyone their gifts. I realized just how great Joey is at public speaking and how maybe I struggle with it. He is smooth in his presentation and I am a little choppy. Still, we had fun. The best was when I called all of my parents up front. I had no clue what I was going to say and it just came out: guess who goes with who? So my step-dad pulled my step-mom toward him and my parents stood together. I was rolling. Then I said, “wait, I thought it was like this….” I put my two moms and dads next to each other. We were all laughing.
Kelly gave me a check I had written her in like 1996 or something crazy like that. So cool.
After everything was done, myself, Joey, Junior, Peter, Jenny and Yi headed over to Joey’s. We picked up the house and drank some wine. I said good-bye to Joey and said we would talk in two days. I then left and drove to my mom’s. Because my aunt was in town, I slept in bed with my mom. I fell asleep knowing I was smack in the middle of change. Little did I know…
No comments:
Post a Comment