
My niece, Lyndsay, joined an after school program called Girls on the Run. A little bit about this program from their website:
Girls on the Run is a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running. Our curricula address all aspects of girls' development - their physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual well-being.
Girls on the Run International (GOTRI) is the parent organization of more than 120 Girls on the Run councils across the United States and Canada. GOTRI establishes, trains and supports a network of community-level councils with local volunteers. The volunteers serve as role models to the girls through coaching the 12-week, 24 lesson curricula. The curriculum is delivered in these areas through after-school programs, recreation centers and other non-profit settings.
Girls on the Run International (GOTRI) is the parent organization of more than 120 Girls on the Run councils across the United States and Canada. GOTRI establishes, trains and supports a network of community-level councils with local volunteers. The volunteers serve as role models to the girls through coaching the 12-week, 24 lesson curricula. The curriculum is delivered in these areas through after-school programs, recreation centers and other non-profit settings.
Lyndsay's 5K completed the 10 week program. Last Saturday was the 5K.
First, Lynds came to my mom’s house and asked me to teach her how to do the runner’s knot. I’ll admit, I got a little choked up. Then, we picked up Joey and headed out to Hawk Island. There were so many little girls! Some of my friends were coaches for other teams so while I chatted, Joey registered Lyndsay. Her bib number, along with everyone else’s bib #, was the number 1.
We found her team, Ruth (my running nemesis) and I teased each other and then the girls warmed up, stretched. I told Lyndsay to pray and ask God to help her if she needed to get through the run. I assured her that He would either give her the strength to get through the 3.1 miles or give her a pretty bird to look at while she walked. They were dismissed to the start line by school and were reminded that every runner had to be done before they could have their snack at the end. With that, they were off!
Joey and I started by standing in front of the start line but after Lynds passed, we moved to the front of the finish line.
The girls had to run around Hawk Island twice. When the runners started coming around for their first loop, Joey and I were yelling hard, giving them encouragement and reminding them they were half way done. Lynds was toward the end of the middle bunch of girls. She was walking when we first saw her but started running again when she saw us. 10 minutes after she passed, we were still cheering girls on when the pace bike came into view. We were all a little confused. The dude on the bike yelled, “this is the first runner, everyone!” We erupted in cheers. Some of those girls are fast runners! From that point on, we would just give are all to these girls, telling them to run it in and sprint. I actually got a little out of control, yelling “run, run, go!” Almost every single girl would either pick it up or start running again. The best was when I saw Lyndsay. She was walking and started running when she saw us (she lamp posted the whole race). But after she passed us, she started walking again. I had turned my attention to the next set of girls until I heard Joey say, “Holl, she’s walking!” Well, I couldn’t have that! I broke one of the rules and started running after her on the pavement. “Run, Lyndsay! Run, run, run!” She started running and finished the race. Proud moment. But I wonder if I’m going to be one of those parents.

All of the girls finished…except one. The announcement came that the last runner was about 10 minutes out and then everyone could have their snack. Joey and I knew which runner it was. She was a heavier set girl who probably walked most or all of the course. I went back to stand with Joey and everyone waited. Suddenly, one by one, all of these little girls started running back to the last runner. They were her teammates and they were going to finish with her. Then, girls who didn’t even know her started running back there. Joey and I seriously got chills and a little teary when the group came into sight.
They were chanting “Samantha, Samantha.” And then, this little girl started jogging…just a little bit…and she finished.

It was such an awesome experience and we had a lot of fun cheering the girls on. I have a goal to be a coach of a Girls on the Run team sometime in the future. I really want to help out.
Lyndsay’s already talking about her next 5K. Not sure when that will be, though!
We found her team, Ruth (my running nemesis) and I teased each other and then the girls warmed up, stretched. I told Lyndsay to pray and ask God to help her if she needed to get through the run. I assured her that He would either give her the strength to get through the 3.1 miles or give her a pretty bird to look at while she walked. They were dismissed to the start line by school and were reminded that every runner had to be done before they could have their snack at the end. With that, they were off!Joey and I started by standing in front of the start line but after Lynds passed, we moved to the front of the finish line.
The girls had to run around Hawk Island twice. When the runners started coming around for their first loop, Joey and I were yelling hard, giving them encouragement and reminding them they were half way done. Lynds was toward the end of the middle bunch of girls. She was walking when we first saw her but started running again when she saw us. 10 minutes after she passed, we were still cheering girls on when the pace bike came into view. We were all a little confused. The dude on the bike yelled, “this is the first runner, everyone!” We erupted in cheers. Some of those girls are fast runners! From that point on, we would just give are all to these girls, telling them to run it in and sprint. I actually got a little out of control, yelling “run, run, go!” Almost every single girl would either pick it up or start running again. The best was when I saw Lyndsay. She was walking and started running when she saw us (she lamp posted the whole race). But after she passed us, she started walking again. I had turned my attention to the next set of girls until I heard Joey say, “Holl, she’s walking!” Well, I couldn’t have that! I broke one of the rules and started running after her on the pavement. “Run, Lyndsay! Run, run, run!” She started running and finished the race. Proud moment. But I wonder if I’m going to be one of those parents.
All of the girls finished…except one. The announcement came that the last runner was about 10 minutes out and then everyone could have their snack. Joey and I knew which runner it was. She was a heavier set girl who probably walked most or all of the course. I went back to stand with Joey and everyone waited. Suddenly, one by one, all of these little girls started running back to the last runner. They were her teammates and they were going to finish with her. Then, girls who didn’t even know her started running back there. Joey and I seriously got chills and a little teary when the group came into sight.
They were chanting “Samantha, Samantha.” And then, this little girl started jogging…just a little bit…and she finished.
It was such an awesome experience and we had a lot of fun cheering the girls on. I have a goal to be a coach of a Girls on the Run team sometime in the future. I really want to help out.
Lyndsay’s already talking about her next 5K. Not sure when that will be, though!
No comments:
Post a Comment