Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I had the day off yesterday and after wine tasting, lunch at Olive Garden and an hour long, deep tissue massage, I was now resting on the couch waiting for Joey to get home. I flipped through the channels and ended up on Little House On The Prairie. In this episode, Mr. Edwards has moved in with the Ingalls and received a job at the mill. He has taken a fancy to the widow, Grace, who works in the post office. She likes him as well and they start courting. Or, they go fishing together...a lot.

Grace makes Mr. Edwards dinner one night and he asks her to go fishing with him the next day. She says yes but it would have to wait until after church. He states the fish bite better early in the morning. Confused, she says, "but Sunday is the Lord's day. Why don't you come to church with me and then we'll go fishing." He then explains he is not a church going man.

Her smile fades. Clearly, this is no good.

But how is this tv show going to handle the situation? Biblically or...American style, meaning, they make her out to be a judgmental prude who is losing out on a good thing. I sat back and waited as Joey joined me on the couch.

Mr. Edwards says to Grace, "I'm the same person you liked for the past two weeks."
"So am I," she said and then he left.

Cut to Mr. Edwards packing up his things at the Ingalls' home ready to skip town. Caroline approached him and asked him why he was leaving. She asked him if he even believed in God. He asked why he should believe in someone who took his wife and daughter from him. He then continued to pack and Caroline lost her cool.

"Mr. Edwards, do you know what you are doing?!" she yelled. "You're punishing God. If you continue to hold on to the past, you'll never have room for the future." Caroline put the smack down on Mr. Edwards. Joey and I were amazed.

In the end, Mr. Edwards ended up at church and sat next to Grace.

I guess I miss those kind of shows on tv.

Oh yeah, I ran a half marathon on Sunday but I'm not ready to talk about it...yet.

1 comment:

Me said...

Yep, gotta love Little House. The three of us were talking about it over dinner on Tuesday--everybody misses it. But I've never seen the final episode in which they blow up the town. Just seems so out of character:)

Miss ya girly!