Monday, September 24, 2007

Amazing

If you weren't at church two weeks ago when Noel talked about William Wilberforce, then I am sad to tell you it was one of the best. Could have been the very best. It was so good, I wish I had it on DVD.

It wasn't just amazing because I actually knew a little somethin' somethin' 'bout William. It wasn't only amazing because it was Joey's artwork. It wasn't simply amazing because Noel pointed out the birthday boy (who was the artist). It was all because of God...all the pieces fit and came together. Of course, we were wiping tears from our eyes afterward...I love those services. And here is what made me cry:

  • It took William 40 years or so to win his fight of abolishing slavery in England. Would I be as willing to fight for something for so long...or would I give up...calling the effort useless?
  • At one point, Noel had everyone who has been a Christian 10 years or less raise their hands. Bobby D and I, along with many others, had our hands in the air. Then, Noel said to keep our hands in the air if we have been a Christian 5 years or less. Bobby and I kept our hands in the air. Noel pointed at the two of us and said, "these two...right here. If God's patience had worn out 5 years ago, these two would be in hell." That blew me away. Sometimes I forget about the Lord's patience, especially when I'm in such a hurry. It is urgent to help the pre-christians. It needs to be more intentional. We need to seek out the brothers and sisters who have fallen off our radar and ask them what's up. We need to be like Paul...if someone goes to hell, it wasn't because of me.
  • Get angry with God. Go ahead. Present your case. The mountains and hills are listening. But then, God will present His case against you. Do you really want to stand trial? Right down a list of all your blessings. The next time you want to state your case against your creator, pull out that list.
  • The band came up and sang "Amazing Grace" with images behind them. Times were shown throughout history when that song was sung. It could be heard during the Civil War, both sides sang it, during WWI and WWII, during the Civil Rights movement and when MLK Jr. gave his "I Have A Dream Speech." Voices sang this healing song after 9/11 and as they marched through New Orleans after Katrina. All of it started with one man, a pastor named John Newton

No comments: