Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My Lord, My God, My Jesus

I have been feeling quite Eeyorey the past few days. The weekend was awesome but the events at Virginia Tech along with my own personal battles have me gloomy. I went running last night to clear my head. I always run with music when running alone but I left the MP3 behind. I wanted to share my time with Jesus.

We ran the route I haven't run since last fall. It felt good to get moving again and pass my old checkpoints. I came to the parking lot of a church and remembered something with a smile. This was the spot God had whispered the word "RivRunners" in my ear. Fascinating. I ran down the side street, talking to the Lord, thanking Him for so much, praying for this and that, confessing some stuff, loving Him, asking for His will.

I ran under two huge pine trees. The branches formed a canopy over my head. It reminded me of being under a weeping willow. I felt sheltered, protected...and then I came out from under the branches. The perfectly blue sky seemed so vast...but I still felt protected. A thought came to me so suddenly, I almost broke down on the sidewalk in tears.

Jesus protects me. He saves me from so much. He gave me free will to choose Him and eventually, I did. But other people do not. They either outright reject Him or they make no decision at all, which is still a decision. Some people take that free will and kill other people, giving them no choice at all, either. But even if someone takes me out, too, I am still protected. They can murder me, destroying my physical body, but God has protected my soul. He's got my back. He may allow me to go through something devastating...so devasting I might shake a fist his way...but He's got me. Never will He foresake me.

I wonder why people put their trust in so many things. I wonder why I fall in that trap, too sometimes. But He pulls me to Him and I'm under His safety. What a wonderful place to be.

No comments: