The entry posted earlier this week was not made by a pastor. It was made by a teenage girl who was giving the scripture lesson to the congregation for Youth Sunday. The theme was about making mistakes. We all make mistakes...even God makes mistakes. I'm not trying to embarress this girl but I flew into "uh-oh" mode. She was a product of her lesson. She made a mistake.
I guess my issue was that her Youth teachers had listened to the sermon several times before she went in front of the church to give it. And no one clarified afterward. And where did she get such an idea that our perfect Lord makes mistakes? She didn't just say it once. She said it several times over an hour.
As I listened to the CD of this sermon in my car, I dialed my phone with the other hand.
"Uh...Chuck? Just wanted to be positive about something before I move forward. God doesn't make mistakes, right?"
"Right on, sister."
I didn't even need the affirmation. I just needed to talk about it. And I did go to God first. I went right to His word to find out why He made the covenant with Noah. My Bible says that God didn't make the covenant because He was sorry so many people were killed by the flood.
Genesis 8:20 Then Noah built an altar to the LORD and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. 21 The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: "Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though [a] every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.
God wasn't saying He had made a mistake and now needed to make good on it. He was impressed, pleased with Noah.
God is perfect. How can something perfect be flawed? His plan is perfect but He gives it to a bunch of imperfect human beings. It is our mistake, not His.
Just as a follow up, I did call the pastor of this church and we discussed "God's mistake." He had already planned on clearing this up at the weekend service. Just so we are all on the same page as Christians here....
No comments:
Post a Comment