For two weeks now, I’ve been listening to two co-workers talk about the Jesus’ tomb thing. Now, it’s not that I’m offended or I think there is one bit of truth in this ridicules story, but the two of them talking about it every day for the past two weeks makes my blood boil. I want to go over and discuss the whole thing with them, but at lunch or another time, not during work hours. I hit my wall the other day. I walked over to them and said the following:
“I hate to be the biiiyatch, but you two have been talking about this for two weeks and it’s distracting. I would love to sit down with you and discuss it at lunch, but not during work hours. What you are talking about is my salvation and I take it seriously.”
I don’t think my message was received well. I totally acted in my flesh.
Sonny and I happened to be e-mailing each other back and forth so I shot him this message:
"I just told a couple people next to me to shut it regarding the “Tomb of Jesus.” They’ve been talking about it for two weeks straight and I finally hit the wall. Probably not a good way to share the gospel but I just couldn’t take another day of listening to them talk about my salvation so brazenly. I totally acted in the flesh. I’m so….fleshy. To me…and I’m saying this for me, now…not you or any other Christian, but my belief in Christianity is faith that Jesus did rise again. If people are trying to discredit that, than they are discrediting my salvation. My belief is in the fact that Jesus was crucified, took on the world’s sins, died and rose again…giving us all new life in him. The rising part is key…for me. The newer Christian might be wounded by all of this. The grade-school Christian (me) is okay with hearing it but my blood pressure goes through the roof. It is just SO absurd that they found this tomb and come to the conclusion it is a certain person in history."
His response was so awesome that I just had to share it (with his permission, of course):
This whole tomb of Jesus thing is a load of crap on two parts.
1. It’s not a new discovery-its been shot down before. This tomb was discovered in 1980. Someone is peddling a book and movie so they want to sensationalize some non-existent link (Da-Vinci Code anyone ?)
2. Being a Christ follower is based on Faith-not tangible evidence for or against.
I understand where you are coming from. I get seriously irritated with armchair archaeologists who base their “belief of the week” on pop-media. Its like they can’t see what’s going on...“Big Film Director” discovers Jesus tomb…oh and he just happened to have made a movie about it and is working with two guys who wrote a book called "Real Archaeology," but this obviously has nothing to do with movie directors and book writers.
People die, only Jesus rose again. I know it because it’s the only time it’s happened and the world was changed from that point on. Only truth can change the world that way.
1 comment:
Honestly, as soon as all that stuff came out, I pulled out the Aunt Kay principle: "quack quack let it roll off your back."
My faith is what it is, no matter what CNN found to vent their colon over for the week. Now having said that, I'm prone to faith rage much like you have described...which is where letting it roll comes in.
Knee jerk to the whole thing, tombs where a commodity back then anyway. What is the likelihood an empty tomb (as Christs was) would have remained empty? You would think the tomb would have been used for its purpose at some point right?
Post a Comment