The story could start in an obvious place: I was born and raised in the East Lansing, MI area. It makes sense geographically for me to be a Spartan. It all goes a little deeper than that, however. My grandfather graduated from MSC, Michigan State College, during WWII. He was from a little town south of Jackson called Cement City. He used to hitchhike back and forth. I loved his stories of the campus as it was built up. My father graduated from MSU in the 70s. I have history at MSU. My dad started taking me to football games when I was four. The highlight back then was getting carmel corn and Zeike the Wonderdog.
This is a picture of me at a football game when I was four. Before the wall was put up near the field, you could go right down to the field. I'm wearing green corduory bibs from the Army store.
We have always tailgated in the same general area near the Red Cedar. This is my sister and my dad's best friends. I'm to the far right.
1987 was an awesome year to be a Spartan. Finally, the underdogs were on top. I was in 6th grade and 11-years-old. We went to all of the home games. My dad would pick the tickets up from George Perles' secretary, Mary Ann, at the Duffy Dougherty building on Fridays. I would go to see if I could scope out any players.
My favorite Spartan of all time was Andre Rison. I never got my picture taken with him, though. He was one of the stars of the 1988 Rose Bowl game and I had every picture there was of him hanging on my wall. When I was in 7th grade, Andre was pulled over for drinking and driving in Eaton County, the county I lived in. I’ll never forget…my dad picked up Chad, Darrick and I from Charlotte Jr. High School. We were coming home from camp so we had a lot of stuff. My dad broke the news to me gently and I was pretty quiet. I went home and wrote a letter to Andre explaining my disappointment. A few weeks before Christmas, my step-mom and dad handed me a small box, explaining it was an early gift. Inside was a framed picture like the one above…except Andre had signed it! Even better, there was a note included. See, in my letter to Andre, I told him he could come clean my room for his community service. Andre must have thought that was funny because he wrote, “I would love to clean your room but I must work on my own first!” I cried I was so happy. Andre went on to become the 22nd draft to the Colts and later was traded to the Falcons. I lost track after him then. His life got a little too crazy for me. Now that I think about it, he was just a college kid. Back then, he was a hero in my eyes.
This is the MSU vs. Indiana Game in 1987 when I was 11-years-old and in 6th grade. I remember several things from this game. The first was that it was my first night game. Second, my dad told me how important it was for MSU to win this game. He said, "if we win, Holly, we go to the Rose Bowl!" Before we left for the game, my step-mom gave me a rose. "If we win this game, you can go down and throw this rose onto the field." I was so pumped! When we got to Spartan stadium, the place was so packed, you could barely move. When State won the game, my step-mom told me to go throw the rose onto the field. In those days (see how old I am!!) you could go all the way down to the field. Eventually, they ripped out the lower seats to create a wall. Anyhow, as I approaced the field, I looked to my left and a mob was rushing toward me. As I threw the rose, my step-mom grabbed my arm and pulled me back up to safety. Then, she took this picture. It was truly one of the most exciting moments I've ever seen at Spartan Stadium. You can even see one of the Indiana football players caught in the mob. I remember they ripped the goal posts down, too.
Bob Kula--Offensive Lineman. It wasn't that I had a crush on him, it was just that he was a hero to me. It's funny looking at college football players now. I'm way older than they are. But then, they were celebrities to me. I had sat next to Bob at a basketball game. I had a 1987 football program and I was drawing hearts and stars around the players pictures I liked. Well, I liked Bob Kula. He was a Rose Bowl star. This picture was taken at Media Day 1988 and my dad had just told Bob the story about me sitting next to him drawing hearts and stars around his picture. He thought it was funny. I thought it was embarressing. You can see my dad laughing in the background.
This is a picture from the same Media Day. Fawn, me and Hyland Hickson (I think that is Emily Youatt next to Fawn but I can't be sure). Hyland Hickson was one of our awesome running backs after Lorenzo White was drafted by the Houston Oilers. My dad will never forget when Hyland fumbled the ball against Illinos and State lost. He still gripes about that loss. Sadly, Hyland died from stomach cancer in 1996. The only article I could find on the net mentions they aren't sure how he died either. They also mention the infamous fumble by Hyland, too. Poor guy.

Eddie Brown. A pat on the back to anyone who knows what Eddie Brown is infamous for doing.
George Perles and my nephew, Bradley.
Jim Miller. What a nice guy. I had such a crush on him for years. Funny story about this picture. Jim was sitting in the stands with his parents (Media Day 1990) and his back was facing me. My step-mom went up a few rows in the bleachers to get a picture of his face. She told me to lean forward (behind him) and pretend to kiss his cheek. The picture would make it look like I really was kissing his cheek. I was horrified and just stood there. And then he turned around and asked me what I was doing. I had no answer. This was the picture taken right after that embarressing situation.
I remember this hat. When you pushed on the bill, it played the fight song.
Playing catch on the banks of the Red Cedar when I was in 11th grade. My brother-in-law is behind me and has just thrown the ball.
Pops and I tailgating. I was in college by this point. I don't have a picture of this event but my dad LOVES to tell this story. It was Nick Sabin's first game as the head coach. I had been partying the night before at CMU and didn't make it to my dad's tailgating spot in time to get my ticket for the game. No cell phones back then. I knew I was screwed. I was going to miss the new coach's first game! Ah! The disappointment! I started crying as I approached the gate. I explained my story to the ticket dude who sent security over. I thought they were going to hall me off. Instead, the security dude told me to follow him to my dad's seat. I promised him I would go up to my dad, get my ticket and come give it back to them as proof I really did have a ticket. The guy was so tired of me by the time we got to the stairs leading to my dad's section that he just let me go. When my dad saw me coming up the stairs to his seats, he was amazed. "How did you get in? You didn't have a ticket...and I sold yours!" "I guess I...cried my way in, dad."
My step-mom and I in 2003.
There you have it. A story told with photos (and words, of course). I could have posted so much more and maybe I will someday. Hopefully, this gives some insight into the "whys." "Why would you support a team that disappoints year after year?" "Why not be a Wolverine?" Well, because. After all, these are college kids. They are still growing and making plenty of mistakes...just like I did. Just like I do. Plus, I've always had a thing for the underdog. Want to talk about me being a Cubbie's fan next?
3 comments:
Wow, fantabulous story and pictures :) Totally loved it... I miss going to the games with you, and watch the band go through, and go tailgating with your dad, and pick the winners (or in my case, all the losers) of all the games, and getting sunburned and being teased about it ;)
I can already picture us taking our kids to the games. Them eating hotdogs, us having moosehead, or not. Can't wait :)
I used to play basketball with Jim Miller and we would sit around and talk football in between games. That's when he was just first playing pro ball. I got to talk to him about God. Cool.
Yi, I can see it, too :o) We have to find them green bibs to wear.
Steve, that is really awesome. I hear Jim doing some sports casting on the radio sometimes.
No one knew what Eddie Brown is infamous for doing? Desmond Howard...1989ish...end zone...?
Holly
Post a Comment