I have someone new that has to answer for my soul in heaven. On Saturday (and Sunday), Dan Price was recognized as a pastor, joining the other four dudes we call pastor. As Noel went through the Biblical requirements of being a pastor/elder, I just smiled and nodded my head. Yes, this is Dan. My thoughts went back to the first time I met he and Suzanne.
For some reason, Joey and I decided to go to a Together bar-b-que at the church. This was back in April 2004. I had seen Dan hanging around the church and he had occasionally stepped in for Paul to lead us in singing. I wasn't too sure about his style. I was used to what I knew which was Paul. But anyway, there they were at the Together event. Funny thing was, Dan looked a lot like a friend of mine from high school, so I kept staring at him. He kept staring back...kind of like "what's wrong with this girl." Anyhow, it was that night I realized the eight-month pregnant woman sitting beside me was his wife (and son). Dan and I started joking around about a lot of stuff but for some reason I was intimidated by his wife. She was just so....tall...and pretty. But that wore off in about a minute because this woman was fun and loving. As we were all sitting there, Dan and Suzanne asked Joey and I out on a date.
A date? Well, they asked us out to dinner for the next Sunday. We accepted. At that time, Joey and I weren't hanging out with people from Riverview. I hardly knew anyone at Riv let alone the Prices and didn't realize they were new to the church and area as well. So, we went out to dinner...the Okemos Applebees. On the way there, Joey and I thought we saw a dead calf in a field. When we told Dan about it at dinner, he insisted we stop to check on it on the way back. It kind of turned into a joke for some reason. No, the calf wasn't dead. It was about 8 hours old and just kind of getting its bearings.
Dinner was interesting and we got to know the Prices better. Dan was bumming because he wanted to go on a mission trip to Amsterdam but because of Suzanne's "condition" he wasn't able to. We were all talking about different ways to induce labor so he could still make the trip. "Come on, Suz," he said when we were going our separate ways, "let's go for a nice, long walk." She didn't have Jaden for another month which was when we brought double decker tacos over for dinner.
Dan took over the singing from Paul and I admit I was totally wrong. I liked his style...most of the time...and because of the variety he and the other band leaders have brought to Riv, I have embraced more musical styles. But both Dan and Suzanne are more than just a music leader and a RivKid teacher.
Dan and Suzanne have helped me personally during some rough times. Their support and outreach have been sincere and biblical. They are a fine example and he will lead the souls of Riverview. We are all blessed to have Dan as an elder and Joey and I are happy to call Dan and Suz friends.
....And I was thinking the other day...wow. I never would have thought I would ever have 5 pastors. And I never would have ever thought I would have all but one of their cell phone numbers programmed into my phone (look out, Mark)....and I call them for various reasons....and they are there. They are all different and balance each other out. The head of our church is Christ...and I don't have his cell phone number programmed in but then again...we all have a direct line, now, don't we.
Whoo-hoo! Go God!
PS: Why does Riverview have 5 pastors???? You can listen to Noel explain it under the "alt.church.leadership" link or perhaps I can bust out my notes and update on it....someday.
4 comments:
Dan seems like a great guy, and I hope that his "pastorship" is as big of a blessing as his ministry has been to me :-)
Sorry about not joining riv runners....yet...You have to understand Di and I aren't runners, we are just trying to warm up to the idea. You run marathons, Di and I run for a block :-)
I am with you guys on that one...
and she is my fiance'
No, no, no. I DO NOT run marathons. In fact, I have no desire to run marathons. 1/2 marathon....maybe. I run 5 and 8ks which are 3.1 and 4.97 mile runs. RivRunners is going to be broken up into smaller groups: beginners, 5-8kers, 1/2 marathoners, marathoners, and trailers (trail running). We have a spot for you and Di. Saturday mornings, we run 3 miles together (and walk when we need to). I'll put you on the e-mailing list anyhow.
~HMB
Bring on the mailing list. Maybe we'd be better at it with other people?
Post a Comment