Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Barefoot Children In The Rain

Three firsts in my 11 Buffett concert history:
1.) It rained...a lot...hard...most of the time.
2.) He didn't take an intermission
3.) I didn't stay for the last encore.

Joey and I met up with his aunt Diana and uncle Gary in the parking lot around 6pm with all of the other corporate Parrotheads. First, we had pretzels, Jell-O shots, margaritas and beer out of the trunk. Then it was off to check out the pre-concert tailgating.

We had fun wandering and participating in the antics of the parking lot. We met up with our shark friend, Art Brokenshire, a few times. He scored me some food as well. Joey met a guy who made a blender out of...I can't remember...a lawn mower, maybe? Anyhow, the rain was a light drizzle until we headed into the venue. It just started pouring. We got inside the door and found a gushing waterfall coming down the steps leading up to the hill to the lawn. We were safe (we thought) in our rain gear.

Deciding to take a spot next to the mudslide on the lawn was fun. Uncle Gary kept nudging me when he wanted me to watch someone bite it. It was pretty funny until later...but that's later.

Buffett came out around 8:10 or so. He came out dancing to "Singin In The Rain" and he had an inflatable umbrella. He danced around and then they did their official opening with Hot, Hot, Hot. He thanked us for braving the weather several times. I also love how he always changes the lyrics to songs, too. During Margaritaville, he sang, "look at those Parrotheads covered in rain coats, umbrellas, and mud!" I was really happy he played Grapefruit Juicy Fruit and Floridays. Oh, and I REALLY like the new Bama Breeze song.

I took my usual pee break at the end of Cheeseburger. This is when he normally does an intermission. Thankfully, he didn't do one but I missed a lot of good songs. See, it wasn't easy getting up that hill in the mud with flip flops on. Aunt Diana helped me and escorted me to the lavatory. Then, she had a cigarette and ordered a drink. We didn't get back to the lawn until "Window on The World." Now, one of these songs was cool because they showed clips from the Andy Griffith show. I saw it from the drink line. Perhaps it was the Peanut Butter Conspiracy.

Fingers Taylor was playing with Buffett for the first time in I don't even know how long. At least for me, I haven't seen Fingers play with Jimmy for at least 5 years. I talked to Fingers at a bar in Royal Oak in 2003. He told me that he and Jimmy never really had a falling out...except that when he told Jimmy he couldn't tour anymore because he needed to raise his kids, Jimmy just never called him again. But there they were on stage together. Jimmy kept bringing him out, like he couldn't get enough of Fingers. Very cool. What was not cool: trying to go back down the hill to our spot.

Several people tried to assist me and I ended up skating down to someone else who caught me who passed me on to Joey. So, I didn't bite it but came close.

The rain never stopped, until the end of the concert when it turned into a drizzle. Our rain gear couldn't handle the amount of precipitation so we did get a little soaked. Still, Jimmy seemed so appreciative of our support. He thanked us over and over. It was kind of interesting, too, because I never tire seeing Jimmy in concert but I do not put him on a pedestal the way I used to. I mean, it's still "wow! Jimmy Buffett!" but since I've become Christ centered, my perception of the whole thing has just changed. I like him but I don't worship him the way I used to. I used to just scream his name over and over. Now, I usually just dance and smile and occasionally yell. Maybe this perception has changed because....my perception isn't as foggy? Drunk? Drugged up? So, this is what is like to be a sober, Christian, Parrothead. Still fun, but much more clear.

We left after the first encore but could hear Jimmy sing as we left. It felt so good to peal off those wet clothes and jump into some dry, warm sweatshirts. I'm glad I wore flip flops.

So, want to go to a Buffett concert next time he's in town :)

Set List

1 comment:

VRA said...

Better yet, why don't you come down to Florida to see Jimmy!!

In the mornings we listen to Bama Breeze on the way to school, Tyler loves it! It's his "new favorite song"!