"Ashley believes she has freedom in her spiritual life to drink alcohol, as long as she doesn't get drunk. In her opinion, Christians who won't touch alcohol are legalistic. Ashley loves to flaunt her freedom and argue her point. Anna also believes God gave her the freedom to drink in moderation. But she's aware she could cause others to stumble. Because she's more concerned about peace and building up others' faith, she exercises her freedom quietly. Addy chooses not to drink at all in order to a witness to others, but she can't help but look down on those who do. Who's got it right?"
For Christmas, I got my mother a bible called True Identity (NIV). This Bible is full of extra stories, sidenotes and questions to make you really think. When I came across the above, it made me set the Bible down. Wow. I'm totally Ashley. I thought it was okay to be an Ashley but after I read about Anna, I realized I just might have this wrong.
I picked the Bible back up and read the scripture next to it.
Romans 14:13
Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. Buf if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean.
Romans 14:19
Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.
This is the verse that really blew me away, though:
Romans 14:22
So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed are those who do not condemn themselves by what they approve.
Crazy for me to read. I loved going around spouting off about my freedom to drink because I had it under control. I knew it was a sin to drink in front of someone who struggles with alcoholism but guess what....I tend to drink anyway because I was thinking I could show them control through me. Big ha. God says no. Don't do it at all. But here Paul is warning me not to flaunt my believes regarding this, either. Now, if I'm in conversation with someone and it comes up, I believe it would be okay to discuss but I was looking for an argument and didn't even realize it. Thanks, Paul. Those closest to me will also take a look at the verse and see it is 14:22. I've been haunted by the #22 for months now. Everywhere, all the time. Perhaps this was what God was trying to tell me (yes, I did pray and ask Him if He was trying to send me some type of message).
Now, one last thing about alcohol before I end this lecture (which was really from Paul, not me). Whether you get drunk once in a great while or if you get drunk every day, you're still sinning.
4 comments:
I like it :) Thank you for posting it. This is one of those gray area issues, sometime I find myself not able to find the balance between my own conviction and not passing judgment to others. The verses are really useful!
How do you know you're drinking in front of an alcoholic if it never comes up in discussion? Do you assume everyone is an alcoholic and not drink in front of anyone, or do you follow the don't ask, don't tell policy?
I guess what I meant about drinking in front of an alcoholic is that I know people who are and I'm still drinking in front of them. If alcohol makes them stumble and my drinking encourages it, then I should abstain. If I don't know, then I don't know and will rely on my best judgment. Does this person seem to be indulging a bit much? I'll probably quit drinking. I was in this very situation recently. My personal limit is always 2 drinks. I was through my firt drink and working on a water when my friend ordered a shot. Hmmmm.... I did have my second drink but prayed about it (crazy--I tend to ask God about everything). By the time we left, I heard my friend make a comment like, "it feels weird to not be drunk or screwed up...and still have had so much fun tonight." I don't know. I just know I don't want to argue my points but explain them with love. I also want to glorify Christ in everything I do.
Ok, I get it. So it's situational? Makes more sense now--I was having a hard time understanding how you would determine (without prior knowledge) if someone was an alcoholic--but you can definitely tell if someone has had too much to drink. I get it.
Post a Comment