Sunday, March 26, 2006

I love Sundays

Never, ever thought I could say I love Sundays but I do. Not sure it is my favorite day of the week but it's close.

This morning, I got up extra early and showered. My mom greeted me with a hello and a "I just went and bought you milk because I'm a good mom." I talked to a friend in need while I got ready and then Joey picked me up for some Riv (the church, not the bar). Service was cool (sat by Darren, Fawn, Katie and Yi) and very emotional. Our friend Jarred spoke on stage. He's a big guy and I've known him since high school (I was his wrestling manager). I was shocked to see him at Riverview the first time. I initially wanted to judge him based on who he was in high school (let's face it, not everyone was nice to me) but I let that go knowing I want a second chance with a lot of people. We laugh about it now and as I saw him onstage tell about what brought him to Christ, I got a little emotional. Want to know what brought him to Christ? A chainsaw.

He bought it to take out some bushes in his backyard. He let his brother use it and then it sat around collecting dust. A co-worker needed to get rid of some branches or trees and Jarred offered his chainsaw. They spent the day cutting things up and then went to the car races. As they were hanging out, they were sharing life stories and discussing issues. The coworker mentioned he went to Riverview but never pushed the subject. Jarred decided to take a chance and checked it out. He's missed three days of church in the year he's been coming. No, this isn't just Riverview. This is all Christ working on his heart.

"You know," he said to Joey and I after the service, "I got up onstage and thought, "I don't know anyone here. Cool. I can do this. I'm not nervous."

"And then we waved," I said.

"And then you waved at me and I got all nervous...more nervous than I did before wrestling matches."

"I think you worked on some people's hearts, Jarred. You're new to this but God is already using you to plant seeds," I said.

"Naw," he brushed me off with a smile.

I taught Rivkids and it went smoothly. Afterward, Yi, Joey and I tried to breeze in to the Meet the Pastors meeting so we could score some pizza. Something made us stick around for the meeting and we had awesome opportunities to talk to some people who were just checking Riv out or had just come to Christ. We then decided to go look at houses, yes the three of us, at Columbia Lakes. I love the homes and was blown away by the different views. Still, not sure if any of that is feasible and there are some major issues to work out beforehand (hello, I'm not even engaged, yet).

Joey and I just got back from having a frosty at Darb's (this would be a Miller Light frosty, not a chocolate frosty). We also watched the George Mason basketball game and talked about the future. Grabbing some scalloped potatoes and ham to go (yum), we went back to Joey's. Now, I want some strawberry shortcake as my perfect Sunday comes to a close.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm eager to read the stories from everyone. If you read them, you'll know mine when you get to it :)