I really need to get into the shower if I'm going to make it in time. Instead, I'm reading blogs and typing away while I eat my Raisin Bran. The Bulldogs wrestle again at 11:45 so I need to get my butt to Battle Creek.
I did get a good nights rest and feel much better. The cats...well...their little lives almost ended this morning at 5:30 a.m. I tried to reason with them to be quiet. I even asked them if they would like to lay at the end of the bed to keep my feet warm. They mocked me as I walked away. But at 6 am, they found themselves locked in the bathroom and I settled back down to slumber with a smile on my face and ear plugs in my ears. Now they are sleeping. Grrrr. I don't know how Joey can stand it.
Like I said, though, the Bulldogs wrestle around noon today. I'm a little nervous to go. I used to make the trip to Kellogg Arena every year (not for team states--ha!--but for individual states). The last time I went was in 1994. Um, that was over 10 years ago. I used to have so much fun at those meets. Seeing Joe S. lose, seeing Joe S. win. He was my best friend and our heavy weight wrestler. I thought about how I was allowed to leave school early to go because I was the manager. One year, I was dating Dwayne Holbrook who had graduated the year before. He and Pat S. (Joe's older brother) came to get me and drove me down to watch the matches. I remembered feeling cool as I hung out with Dwayne and Pat. They were fun. Pat was a huge guy and freaked out when we would get behind one of those trucks carrying cars. Anyone want to take a guess as to what Pat and Dwayne are doing these days? Come now, some of you know but if you know me and my morbid state of mind....then you know both of them are dead now. Pat passed away in January of 2004. He slipped off the semi truck he was driving (irony?). Dwayne died in...hmmmm....2001? 2002? I can't quite remember. His was due to alcohol poisoning. Crazy thing about that was when I was dating him, he picked me up from school wasted and backed into a car. I broke up with him the next day. He must have fought that demon for a long time.
Okay, I really need to go because I want to be there to watch Mason. They are so exciting to watch, too. When I talked to Joey last night, he said, "Let me call you back. We are losing right now." But they pulled it out in the end in a really crazy sort of way.
No comments:
Post a Comment