Saturday, February 25, 2006

Asking The Question

Did you know I use to think sharing the gospel meant to tell the stories of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John? Did you know I thought this up until last week? I remember when Joey told me Clark and Brandi were sharing the gospel with someone at the bar during our mission trip. I was in awe of what was taking place right next to me. But then I wondered, "where do they start? Do they go in order and start with Matthew? How long does it take?"

I smile when I think about how green I was. I still wonder why God asked me to go to Germany. I wasn't prepared to share the gospel. Can you envision the poor soul who sat down with me and I started going through Jesus' lineage and telling the Christmas story? Somehow it dawned on me last week, though. Everything became crystal.

Three years ago this very weekend, I started going to Riverview. I was a person who was seeking. I celebrated Christmas and Easter and prayed. But I didn't know God and I sure didn't know the answer to the question "how do you get to heaven." I remember when that all came to me, sometime in the summer at Riv. Oh...I get it now! I was so excited. I'm excited now, too.

"Joey," I said Tuesday night, "what does it really mean when you share the gospel with someone...because I think I just did." Jimmy's suicide has made his friends stop and pause. I feel this pause is an opportunity for God to share Himself with them. As I talked to my roommate Tuesday night, we were led to the issue:

K: I don't know if Jimmy went to heaven or not.
H: Hmmm....I don't know, either. God is forgiving and can forgive for anything. If Jimmy was a believer....wait, I have to ask you this question...do you know how to get to heaven?

Joey asked, "What did you say?"
I felt a little nervous as I began speaking. The nerves transformed to tears. I felt very emotional as I began.

"In the old testament, people used to sacrifice lambs and other animals to pay for a sin they committed. Because, as you know...there are...you know..."
"Penalties...consequences"
"Yes! Penalties and consequences for our sins. Well, when Jesus died on the cross, he became the new lamb. It is pretty emotional to think of the pain Jesus suffered, but it wasn't just the pain of the beatings and crucifixion. When he was on the cross, he felt every single sin I would ever commit. He felt and paid for everything you would ever do. He took on Jimmy's sins, too. But the catch is that you have to have faith this happened for you. You have to believe Jesus died for your sins. Believing he saved you from sin is the only way to get to God and therefore heaven."

That was a lot to sum up. It certainly wasn't telling all the stories from the gospel. It wasn't even the whole story but it was a starting point...and the most important point. Why do you need to accept Jesus? That's why. If I'm way off, if there is something that needs to be clarified, please correct me.

And why am I even writing about the most easy, basic point? Because, my friends, you would be surprised who doesn't know. I've felt the Holy Spirit grow strong in me these past few weeks. I've been boldly asking my friends and family members the most basic question: how do you get to heaven? And when I ask this question, I ask in a way that makes it appear that maybe I don't know, either. Tricky? Maybe. Less threatening? I think so.

Here are some of the responses I've received:
"Um....I don't know."
"You know, I've been wondering about that same thing..."
"Um....hmmm....I know the answer....I think....i think I'm making it harder than it is...."
"You are a good person, do good things, don't swear and love God."
"You accept Christ into your life, accept him as your savior and live for him."

All of these people I would consider Christians...but maybe Christians who have someone missed the point. The last response came from someone I didn't consider a Christian. God loves to prove me wrong. The cool thing about this question is that it opens the door for more discussion. I have had so many awesome conversations about faith and belief in the past few weeks...all because I boldly asked the question.

And I'm not the only one. Joey asked the question to someone on Thursday night. Joey shared the gospel with someone he thought knew it already. So, we have made a decision. Last year, we were raising money to go across the world to plant seeds. This year, we are in the position to give to people who are going to go across the world. We are going to stay here and support with prayer and money. We are also going to step out and boldly ask this simple question to our friends and family, even the ones we think already know. I feel kind of like a warrior for Christ. But when I share, I feel so humbled that He would use me.

No comments: