Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Anonymous Woman in her 80s: I'm not prejudice or racist but....
Me (in my head): here it comes...
Woman:...when a group of "them" get together, there's going to be trouble.
Me: (deep breath) What you just said was extremely racist. When a group of trouble makers get together no matter the race, sex, age, etc. there is going to be trouble.

It was difficult to point this out to someone older than myself but I had to. I read once that Jesus loved humor but he never tolerated off-color jokes. I don't laugh at them and I don't tolerate comments like that. I think this shows my growth as a Christian.

3 comments:

VRA said...

Did you hear Wolf Blitzer the other night during a live report? He obviously was not using a teleprompter while trying to get his point across about how badly hit LA & MS are. Something to the extent of: "folks, this is bad stuff here--smells, sights, so bad...so poor, so black..." It was not one of his better on air moments!

Me said...

You go girl! I'm proud of you. It's tough but it's worth it!

Holly said...

Thanks, Meg. I re-read what I wrote and I feel like I was patting myself on the back too much. Or at least, that was how I perceived myself even though my real point is how difficult it is to call someone out. I used to just smile sheepishly but now I feel obligated to not let people get away with it. I hope to God they wouldn't let me get away with it either.