I joined my company’s Giving Committee in January. I thought it would be a great opportunity to get involved and help decide where Val is going to give her monies. As a group, we are the company's decision-makers as it relates to philanthropic donations.
There are rules with how we distribute charity, however. Here are a few:
1.) No religious affiliation, although I can’t find this written anywhere…it was definitely discussed and has come up in our meetings.
2.) 80/20 rule: 80% of funds donated must go directly the services the charity provides; only 20% can go toward overhead, staff salaries, etc.
3.) We all have to vote on the charity and agree as a team.
The Giving Committee has offered so much support to global and local organizations. I’m happy that the company I work for cares enough to give back to the community. But today, something happened that really shook me awake and forced me to take a look at what I believe.
Background info: I rarely take a stand on stuff. Everyone is going to have their own opinions anyway…why bother? When it comes to Christianity versus everyone else, I’m getting better at speaking up and discerning truth for others to hear. God uses me to speak for Him…not like a prophet but as a missionary. So, I’ve learned and am still learning how to be in the world but not of the world. My own personal opinions might be to disagree on certain issues but I’ve decided to trust Christ on them. So here we go (and I’m a little nervous to write all of this…please believe me, I’m not a hater).
It was the diversity sector’s turn to speak and the motion came to donate $500 to Affirmations Lesbian and Gay Community. I immediately felt uncomfortable. The vote came and I said nothing: neither aye or nay. The motion passed without hesitation. I was shocked to see, right in front of my face, the way things have changed. If it had been my turn and I asked to donate $500 to Worldvision, I would have been turned down because of the religious affiliation. Throw God out. Nullify Him.
I felt sick when I left the meeting. I decided right then and there I was done with the committee (there were some other things going on as well). My buddy Dave, also a Christian brother and member of the committee, sent me an e-mail. He said, “I most certainly did not picture myself giving consent, though no ‘aye’ crossed my lips, to giving $500.00 to people who want to disobey the word of God. I don’t know… Am I being irrational? I thought as a committee we were avoiding charities involving ‘religion’, but sexual preference is evidently the order of the day! Am I the only one who sees the hypocrisy here?”
I did some more research on this organization. Irony here: when I typed Affirmation into Yahoo, it mostly came back with Christian Affirmations. There was one little website though that stuck out. Here is more info:
OUR VISION
Affirmations is the hub of the community. We celebrate wellness, personal growth and development, centered in a state of the art, multi-use facility that is financially secure. (sounds really nice)
OUR MISSION
To provide a welcoming place to everyday people, where they can have fun, learn, socialize, grow, be supported and find acceptance. (Great idea!)
OUR PHILOSOPHY
Affirmations Lesbian and Gay Community Center was founded on the philosophy that "gay is good, you are not alone." This philosophy has expanded to include bisexual and transgender individuals in addition to lesbians and gay men. Affirmations strives to create an atmosphere of safety and acceptance for all people. Our focus is on helping lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals find and develop community where we value and respect our selves and others. Through training in the basic operations of the center, listening, communication, empathy, problem solving, facilitation, and other appropriate skills, interested and dedicated individuals can successfully volunteer at Affirmations. (Whoa, whoa, whoa…)
I want to be very careful here. I am not hating on homosexuals. I have friends who are gay. I love them. We have fun together. But the moment we start discussing sexuality is the moment I have to be real honest: I love you, but I hate the sin. Want to talk about my sin areas and how much God still loves me? Let’s. But if you are a Christ follower, I have to hold you up to the same standard I live under. Bottom line is I just can’t support a place that promotes “gay is good.” I do want people to feel good and comfortable with themselves but….I don’t know. It is just so PC to support homosexuality these days. We are distinguishing differences in each other based on our sexuality. Guess what: I like males! I do not have stickers, t-shirts, support groups, dinners and parades to announce this to the world. Then again, this is acceptable, but being gay is becoming equally acceptable…and if you don’t support it, you’re a hater.
Again, I’m not saying their lifestyle is easy. Maybe God doesn’t want it to be. I don’t know. We definitely need to stop the bashing but what about a different kind of support group…one that takes people in, gives them a home, shows them God’s love…but doesn’t necessarily support what they are doing? Do such places exist? What are we doing as Christians to help in this area? What I see is Satan winning in corporate America.
I know, I know. A little too serious for the blogging world, right? Go ahead and beat me up.
'Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us.' Peter
8 comments:
HB,
I know that confrontation is difficult for you, so I can understand your frustrations. Perhaps a couple of things might encourage you:
1) It's an unrealistic expectation to think that your co-workers, most of whom I would assume are not Christians, would have a Biblical view of homosexuality. I anticipate that the gay lifestyle will eventually viewed as totally fine by most folks because a) most people have no idea of what's really involved in the gay lifestyle; and b) people will be willing to accept immorality in others so that the immorality in their own lives is equally ignored. Anyway, Val isn't Christian, and doesn't claim to be Christian, so I wouldn't expect them to make philanthropic decisions based upon a Christian worldview.
2) At the same time, as a Christ-follower you have an opportunity to be salt and light at work. I think that you ought to feel the freedom to challenge the "no religious affiliation" rule, as there are many worthy charities out there who are deserving of support. To be prejudiced against them (and yes, you ought to use that word) due to their being affiliated with a religious group is simply ridiculous. Furthermore, if you're in a position to influence Val's giving, then you ought to be able to dissent as your conscience dictates and say "no". If someone else doesn't like that, you can ask them if they's rather you go against your convictions (or if you're feeling particularly sassy, you can ask them why they're being so intolerant of your views).
In any event, sometimes it's tough to "know when to hold 'em/ know when to fold 'em/ know when to walk away/ and know when to run". :-) But God's gonna use this little episode to help ya grow. Learn from it, think about how you're going to handle the next situation that pops up, and decide how you're going to respond. That's how you're gonna grow--by being ready the next time.
I'm rootin' for ya sis (know what you need? Oh, yes...the Perfect Cheer!)
Chuck
This is really tough for me and the one reason I say the Bible is wrong. Yes, I'm Christian, and so is everyone else posting, I'm assuming, but does that mean you have to believe everything the Bible says to be 100% gospel? (It's a question, not a comment)
Will I go to hell because I support gay and lesbian rights? Don't know. But, I agree--they should have rights, but why do they have to have parades, colors, t-shirts, symbols.
But wait...doesn't every other civil rights and religios organization have parades, shirts and symbols? (Gay Pride, Million Man March, Christmas Parade, etc...?)
I think you have to follow your heart on this one.
After some searching, studying the 10 Commandments (The Laws Given to Moses) it does not state that it is a sin to be homosexual. The following is an excerpt from a Catholic website. We all know how Catholics feel about gays!
In the mid-1970s, the Catholic Church recognized the difference between being homosexual and engaging in homogenital (same-sex) acts. The Catholic Church holds that, as a state beyond a person's choice, being homosexual is not wrong or sinful in itself. But just as it is objectively wrong for unmarried heterosexuals to engage in sex, so too are homosexual acts considered to be wrong.
The Church also teaches understanding and compassion toward gay and lesbian people. In their 1976 statement, To Live in Christ Jesus, the American bishops wrote, "Some persons find themselves through no fault of their own to have a homosexual orientation. Homosexuals, like everyone else, should not suffer from prejudice against their basic human rights. They have a right to respect, friendship, and justice. They should have an active role in the Christian community.… The Christian community should provide them a special degree of pastoral understanding and care." In 1990, the U.S. National Conference of Catholic Bishops repeated this teaching in their instruction, Human Sexuality.
I am confused...I guess(sarcasm)...so the Catholic church let's you be homosexual without that being a sin but acting on it is sinful?...is that right? Regardless of what the Catholic church has decreed, I think it beneficial to study what the bible states on the subject, and find the answer for yourself. Being that the Bible is the word of God, maybe one might be able to find what he really thinks. VRA...I love ya...you know that...but I disagree with the comment. ;o) I can find Biblical passages, and what not if you wish.
Yes, but that is the case with any relationship, homosexual or heterosexual. If you act on it prior to marriage then you are sinning. Only in some states (Massachusets, California (I think) and in Canada) is it legal for homosexuals to be married, and with that then it would no longer be sinning. As stated in the article, "The Christian community should provide them a special degree of pastoral understanding and care", basically without prejudice. But, yes, I would be interested (without having to take the time and energy myself!! :) ) in seeing what exactly the bible says, in comparison to the commandments.
I think what it comes down to is your interpretion of the passages and if you support a liberal view of the bible or a conservative view of the bible.
But still keep me informed! :-)
Here is a link with verses explaining the Biblical position of homosexuality. Hope this helps!
Uh...I think Dan pretty much summed my long drawn out post with one simple link. Dan, how do you get links in your responses?!
Chuck, thank you for your feedback and support. You rock and brought up some awesome points.
Mr. Corr, Davethepentecostal, Chuck, Dan, VRA...I respect all of your opinions. Thank you for the discussion today.
Post a Comment