Highlights from my trip to Chicago this weekend (pictures to be posted by the end of the week):
*Train ride there—my 11th grade English Lit teacher was also traveling to Chicago with her husband. I felt relieved not to be completely alone. Also, the train stopped over the crossing in Charlotte, blocking traffic by the Workbench. I looked down at people who were pretty ticked off.
*Cereality—I must go there every time I’m in Chicago. Get off the train, cross the bridge, go down a block and you’re there. I didn’t order anything too fun but it was yummy: oatmeal squares with blueberries. Andy got Apple Jacks with marshmallows or something. Then, we took it outside and enjoyed the scenery as we ate.
*Castaways—a bar (shaped like a boat) on the beach. Excellent view. Excellent T-shirts. Some examples: Water is $3 or 100 yards east. Bathroom is downstairs or 100 yards east.
*Dinner at a fancy shmancy place that I can’t remember the name of but know it was on the Navy Pier. Of course, we were really gussied up and feeling elite…until the bill came. Here’s to the 11% city tax.
*Walked around Navy Pier and went up in the Ferris Wheel. Absolutely beautiful at night, although…I think the older I get, the more I fear heights. What’s the deal? What happened to my fearless teen years? Grrr….
*Watched Shrek 2. That is a funny, funny movie, although…I laughed harder the first time I saw it. Still, Andy was able to fill me in on a couple of other movie references I didn’t know.
*Went to H&M on Michigan Ave. Bought another pair of sunglasses. Walked up and down MI Ave and then rode the “L” back to Andy’s. He lives in a nice apartment 2 blocks from Wrigley. The L passes next to his shower window. You get used to it.
*Grilled out and walked to the game. It was pretty fun. I paid attention the entire time and really got into it. Cubs lose, Cubs lose. Oh well.
*Went to the Lincoln Park taste fest which turned into the Lincoln Park over capacity and drunkenness fest. We left after an hour. Walked alllll the way back, although I’m thinking it might have been the same distance we walked in Germany the night we were rejected from the bar. This time, a homeless guy (who was drunk) tried to hug me. Andy pushed him off me and then I laughed. Not sure why. I wasn’t really that scared.
*Watched Troy. It was long. Some parts I couldn’t buy into though I’m pretty sure they were added in by Hollywood.
*Got Chai from Starbucks Sunday morning and made it down to the John Hancock building before the long lines formed. The view was pretty cool and I liked it better than the Sears Tower. Of course, I had morbid thoughts while we were up there (shudders).
*Ate at Gino’s. First ones in the door. Very good deep dish pizza. When we left, there was a line out the door.
*Andy dropped me off at the train station. Couldn’t find my gate. Began to panic. Found a guy who helped me out. People were already in line to board. I got a good seat and read the new Harry Potter book almost the whole way home. When we got to Charlotte, I glanced out the window, familiar with the roads we were passing over. I smiled, a big smile, and observed the backyards of people. There were lots of deer running around in the fields. I caught a glimpse of a buck in a cornfield. All you could see was his face and his antlers…just staring at our train as we sped by. Very cool.
*I’m glad to be home but want to take Brad and Lynds back to Chicago, hopefully in September.
No comments:
Post a Comment