Monday, August 08, 2005

The Baby

I like being the youngest. I really do. It used to be a small sore spot because the oldest gets the cool hand me downs from our ancestors. I quit caring about that a few years ago because if I get a serving dish that was my great-grandma’s…then, cool, but if not, so what. Like I said, the only thing I want to take to heaven is Blanket. Digressing….

I woke up Sunday morning and stumbled out of my bedroom. My mom came out of her room and happily chirped, “Hi, Baby.” I replied, “Hi, mama.” It made me feel good that she was so happy to see me. My mom has worked in the same hair salon for 25 years. At her work, the women (who have pretty much known me my whole life) refer to me as “the baby.” I don’t take that to mean I am immature or whiney (cuz, hey, that’s not me at all…well, not at her work…unless she cuts my hair too short or something), just that I am the youngest.

My step-mom and dad took me out to dinner last night. They had been wanting to take me to Bravo for letting them computer-sit (really, they didn’t have to repay me in any way but they kept insisting…I think they were using it as an excuse to go to Bravo). After we were finished, Christine and I wanted to check out Maggie Moos. My father, who seems to be getting grumpy, said, “we have 1700 gallons of ice cream at home. The leftovers will spoil if we keep them in the car too long. Fine, I’m going to go check out the prices at Mitchell’s Fish Market (meaning—I’m having a beer).” Sooo, he gave us 15 minutes but since we had so much time, we went to the jewelry store and after that, a clothing store. We had a lot of fun, laughing together. We made it back to Maggie Moos in 15 minutes with my dad grumbling as he walked toward us with a Mitchell’s menu in his hand.

“Do you know how much it costs to get a salmon steak with mashed potatoes? Guess?!!?”
“Whoa, dad. I don’t know.”
“$25! Can you believe that?! Guess how much it costs for a lobster tail and steak?”
“Ummmm….$40?” “Can you believe these prices?! Hello, folks (he loves to say that), this isn’t Chicago. It’s Lansing, MI!”
Christine and I exchanged looks. “He sounds like Grandma,” I said.

Since I’m not a big ice cream fan, we decided not to get any (besides, my parents apparently have 1700 gallons at home). So we turned to leave and…out of the corner of my eye…I saw a flavor that jumped out at me. I had to try it. Loved it! Bought it! My dad claimed to be too full to try this ice cream but after he did, he agreed it was one of the best ice cream flavors he’s ever had (you can see how hard it is to please him J). Any guesses as to what the ice cream flavor was? It really completes my life…

Anyhow, I’ve noticed the amount of time I’ve been spending with my parents over the past months. More than I have since I left…high school probably. Perhaps this is the positive side of me being unmarried…single…lonely (sob). I know this time with them won’t last forever so I’m going to love it right now.

6 comments:

The Professor said...

Hello...what's the flavor? We're dying to know :oP

Yi said...

For ice cream lovers, like me, everything on the menu looks great. I even asked people to pick from the list, I still have no idea what caught your eyes, so tell me, I can't handle the suspense :)

I feel the same way about spending time with my parents, it is just something about that... so comforting

Holly said...

Awww...no guesses? Its so easy if you know me and my obsessions... no, it isn't Baja flavored ice cream...

Yi said...

You are such a tease... Ok, I will throw out some guesses, but you will have to tell me eventually :)

Pina Cowlada sounds fun; or I know you like chai/coffee? So I would guess Cinnamoo or Espresso Bean...

The Professor said...

I am with Yi...it's gotta be Chai flavored ice cream.


So tell us already.

Holly said...

Yes, Chai Tea Ice Cream. Mmmmmmm....