Thursday, July 28, 2005


Recently, my friend Chuck posted pictures of the little girl he sponsors. I, too, have a little boy. His name is Melvin and he lives in Honduras. I've been sponsoring him for about a year and a half. Here's the story:
I was driving into work one morning, listening the D-town Christian radio station. The announcer said they had a little boy who needed a sponsor. I listened, intently, because I had been wanting to sponsor a kid for awhile. The announcer said the boy's name was Melvin (that's cute), he lives in Honduras (never been), he is 4-years-old (ohhhh), and his birthday is August 17th. "Stop. Hold up. August 17th? That's Kim's birthday. Is this a sign, God? Should I sponsor him?"

I never really test God like this but I said, "okay, Lord. You and I both know how bad the parking sucks at work. IF I get there and there happens to be a front row parking spot available...I'll know this is the kid for me. I'll take it as a sign" I got to work and call it coincidence but there was a front row spot open. I raced inside, called the station, and sponsored Melvin.

This picture is of Melvin when he was 4-years-old. Krissie said it looks like he is wearing a Tommy Hilfiger shirt. I doubt it. I write to Melvin and his family but the boy cannot write back, yet. I sent him some stickers and coloring books for Christmas (we have a limit on what we can send). I received a letter from Melvin's dad about a month later:

Blessed Sponsor,
Everyone is in good health. The boy is fine and starts Kinder soon. Thank you for the stickers. Our crops are failing.

Whoa. Wish I could send them some fertilizer...or food but hey, stickers and my monthly check will have to do. God bless them.

2 comments:

VRA said...

I have a five year old you can sponsor if you want to. Or, better yet...a three year old. Send checks mont...errr, weekly to my address. :-)

Good job, Holly.

Holly said...

You need to make decisions somehow, Son. As long as you are making them...ha!