Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Project KMM Update

It has been a long time since I've updated the three of you who read this blog on my project. Major developments since then.

When I first thought of the idea...no wait...let me back up. When God first gave me the idea for this project, there were many obstacles. Kim had been gone for 17 years. The people that knew her weren't on the best terms or had moved away. 17 years...pictures get lost, things get stored away, thrown out, ruined. But God's will on this is amazing.

Obstacle #1: Kim's former step-mother.
Kim's dad left a lot behind when the split happened. He left all of his pictures, including all the ones he had of Kim. Everyone told me, "there is no way you'll be able to get those pictures from her, Holly." But I smiled, thinking, "well, I don't want the pictures from her. I have a different idea." About a month ago, I showed up unannounced at Cindy's house. I hadn't seen her in years but saw that she was still the same woman who baby-sat me many moons ago. I like her...but I know her, too. We visited a little while and then I sprung the project on her. Could she help? Would she be willing? She asked if I wanted to go for a ride with her. Off we went to Lansing. We talked about Kim the whole way there and the whole way back. I learned a lot about Kim and a lot about Cindy: she was close to Kim. She misses her. We came back to the house and Cindy immediately went upstairs. "Can you give me a hand, Holly?" I heard her yell. I approached the stairs and saw her standing at the top with boxes. They were full of pictures. We spent the afternoon sorting through boxes and boxes of pictures. I had my scanner there and scanned them into my computer as we went. Again, no one thought it was possible to gain access to these pictures. Know how I did it? I prayed like crazy before I went over there. I asked for God to soften her heart to the cause. I asked for His help but if she turned me away, I would know it wasn't meant to work out. I prayed the whole way to her house. At times, I got so nervous, I wanted to throw up. Then, the Holy Spirit would calm me, give me strength and the words to say. Awesome.

Obstacle #2: Kim's mom
I was told from the beginning not to expect much help from Kim's mom. She was moving to Arizona and didn't want to "go down that road." The week after Kim died, her things were boxed up and put in storage. The siblings came home to a new den that had been their big sister's bedroom. I’m not saying it was wrong or right, only that the mom was very guarded about Kim. When Karen, Kim’s younger sister, explained the project to the mom, she was skeptical. I got a phone call from the mom two weeks ago. She was in town for the summer and was going through boxes. She wanted to help and contribute. I went to Karen’s on Saturday night and met the mom. She looked a lot like Kim, or Kim looked a lot like her. She was also really nice and let me borrow a bag full of pictures of her daughter. The best part was a VHS tape from their last Christmas together.

Last night, I took a deep breath and popped the VHS in. Kim wasn’t in it as much as I had hoped. The quality wasn’t the greatest, either. When Kim walked into the room, I got a little sad. I haven’t seen a live image of Kim in 17 years, since I saw her alive. Kim sat down on the couch, completely out of view. But then…she finally leaned over and she opened her last present. Her brother, Mike, who was a year older than Kim, handed it her shyly. She opened it and exclaimed, “Rush! The Rush tape! Thank you, Mike!” You could clearly see how close the two of them were. She walked over to him and thanked him again. Then, she opened the tape and played it a few minutes on the stereo. After this, she tried on her Varsity coat she had also received. “Look, mom. There’s even room to grow,” she stated.

My throat became tight and I felt incredibly sad. I watched all of them, knowing now that their lives were going to change for the worse in two months. They didn’t know. They had no idea this would be their last Christmas with Kim. I wanted to call Karen and tell her how sorry I was that she had to go through all of that at such a young age. I wanted to tell her how sorry I was that her sister died 17 years ago. I wanted to yell at them so they knew what was about to happen but they continued on, frozen in time, carrying on with a normal family Christmas, unaware. Of course, it was better that they didn’t know, even if I had the power to somehow transcend the whole time barrier.

I didn’t think this project would get to me so much. I hope I can get this thing right. I’ll keep asking for help and praying

1 comment:

The Professor said...

You are doing a wonderful thing and God has obviously showed you he is in control...so let him be. It isn't on you...it is on him ;o) Have faith that he will make it awesome and use you to accomplish his will.

FYI...You Rock!!