Yesterday, Riverview rocked. Let me start over. Yesterday, God rocked. This is what He did to me.
I started helping out with RivKids in November. All I'm supposed to do is assist the teacher. I play with the kids, help with snacks, and do potty breaks, leaving the lesson up to the teacher. Yesterday, Missy informed me of the following: Holly, the teacher isn't coming in. Can you handle the class or would you like help.
I felt this slightly nervous excitement. Four girls and one boy were in the room. I told her I could handle it. Wow. I was the teacher.
We went to big group and watched a video about the disciples. They were played by teenage boys and the acting was really intense. It held my kids attention the entire time. One little girl said, "Teacher, Jesus died...but how did he come back to life?"
Are you kidding me? This little person was coming to me for answers. I promised her we would talk about it when we went back to the classroom. Upon our return, we discovered Kaitlyn was going to join us as well. Normally, Kaitlyn wants to do her own thing and not participate. This day was different. She sat at the table, colored, join in on all of our conversations. And the kids were answering the study questions! They hardly ever do! I asked the kids what they would say to Jesus if he walked into the room. The answers were I love you and I miss you. We talked about their favorite movies, food, Easter memories and some other bible stories. After our snack, we played Duck, Duck, Goose and London Bridge. Everyone participated.
It was such an awesome feeling to teach and have those shiny little faces understand. I wonder if that is how Noel, Steve and Mark feel when they are teaching us.
After class, Missy's assistant gave me an Easter egg and congratulated me on my first day as a teacher. She complimented me and said it looked like I had everything under control. I smiled and said, "I can't take all the credit. God is in control."
Would I want to do this full time? I don't know. I might not like it as much if it were all the time. Perhaps there is a seed being planted. Perhaps not.
1 comment:
Ok...so maybe God wants you to be a teacher. The gig isn't so bad...I like it :o)
Post a Comment