I see it happening. I’m going through a righteous phase. This is where I become overly opinionated and everyone should think like me.
I’m a bright, yellow Hummer with road rage, passing people by, taking up the whole road, causing fellow drivers to give me the lone finger or (gasp) a swear. I see a group of people on the side of the road. I pull over, quickly throw them into the truck and peel out while they scream, “what are you doing? We don’t want to follow you, you mad person!” Yes, I see me as this person right now, steam rolling those who oppose me. Telling them their way isn’t right or acting like I agree when in my heart I’m crying out, “fool! You don’t need all of that! Simply follow the Lord!” I’m making myself a little sick. I know I need to be….well…the Stormy Grey Saturn Ion 3 with a MP3 player and sunroof that I am. Resolute yet yielding to others, listening to others, being kind to my fellow drivers, explaining my beliefs and agreeing to respectfully disagree.
What has made me this way? Surrounded by pre-Christians, non-Christians and atheists at work, I hear things. God works His way into my conversations—not always by my will. I try to take the time to listen to people’s perspective...but sometimes I only want to push my own agenda. Ooooh, that really wins people over. Still, people see something in me that makes them ask questions. And I have ways of prompting them....
I keep various conversation starters up in my cube: the Jesus figure with gliding action, my Riverview water bottle, various little quotes from the bible, pictures of Jimmy Buffett, a picture of my little boy, and a book called “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Understanding Catholicism” sits on my desk (thanks, Sonny). This is the best conversation starter. People say, “this is hilarious? Why do you have it?” I ask, “Are you Catholic?” Most times they respond, “yes.” And then I say, “I have it for you.” I work with a lot of jokers so I usually tailor my answer but the bottom line is that I have the book to help explain why things are done in the Catholic church…because most of the Catholics I work with don’t know why…they just do it. For example, a guy I work with was thumbing through the book and said, “I didn’t know that New Year’s Day was a day of holy obligation!” I asked, “what is a day of holy obligation?” “A day you have to go to church.” “Did you go?” I asked. “welllllllll….we don’t get to church much. We just don’t have the time.” See. That is what I would want to change.
I went from dreading church to looking forward to it. The things I learn, the people I’ve met, helping kids understand…it is something I need to help get me through the rest of the week. Why can’t all people experience this? Time would disappear if they went to a church they liked. It wouldn’t be a “holy day of obligation.” Really, though, I’m judging people and I shouldn’t be doing this. Oh, and I’m not disapproving of the Catholic church. I only have my opinion from being exposed to it. I guess I want to spread my excitement. I want everyone to be on fire for God. I’m sure there is a high rate of this “excitement spreading” from new believers. I just don’t want people to miss out.
I’m sure this is all part of my growth process…a growing pain if you will.
1 comment:
Wow you are very insightful...and I believe you are going through some growing pains as well...but when in doubt...ask God.
I love the interactions you have with others...and think that you handle yourself very well...don't be discouraged. God is definately with you!
Post a Comment